Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on CompanyName

Default Advice on CompanyName

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking the help of the creative minds in this forum. Myself and my freind are going to start a Video business. We are booking alot of schools and community Playhouse plays. We started doing a few last year to see if it would work. Well we are booked this year so far to do 5. And we do pretty well financially with them. But I need a name for our business, I just can't think of a good one. From what I read online, it should be shoet and to the point, but also something someone will remeber easily. I would apprciatte any ideas. Thanks.

Tony

Blog Entries

One thing you do have to do, (apart from the normal checks with Companies House if you're in the UK), is to make sure all the domain names are available, and buy them up too. The last thing you want (and this has happened to me) is someone getting a domain like a .biz or .net that's the same as your .com or .co.uk etc. Google any prospective names and see if anyone else has them. You should also go to Yell.com and check for sole traders with the same name too. Finally, pick something individual and distinctive. So many companies are video this or video that. Think like the guys that came up with 'Egg' for a credit card name.

Blog Entries

My friend is a graphic designer and he is great for advice on names and logos. The logo is important I think, so think of a name that makes a good logo possible too and once you have a logo and a name sitck with it.

The name I use for my films, Zaskar, was a random choice really, cos of my mountain bike. As this was not a commercial name it didnt matter that any google for 'zaskar' gets zillions of mountain bike stuff but if it were a company name that would be bad. I did get 'zaskarfilms.com' but I would have preferred 'zaskar.com' but that was taken. My logo was done by my graphic designer friend too and I am still happy with it, get one done from a pro is my suggestion.

If I ever get my shit together and try to make money from this video thing the name I have in mind after much thought (so please no one steal it eh?) is 'frog finger films'. Perhpas odd enough to be memorable, ambiguous enough so it doesnt streotype the company and 'logoises' well too.

Congratulations on getting work, good luck

OK I just registered frogfingerfilms.com, frogfingerfilms.net, frogfingerfilms.biz and frogfingerfilms.co.uk.

Blog Entries

Ha, I just kidnapped your first born and sold them so i can get more camera stuff.

Get more camera stuff? For what studio? Didn't you watch the news?

Blog Entries

Nope....? Hint ?

I did't pay much attention... but it was something about a sudden explosion...

Blog Entries

Getting back on topic....

Other tips.

Avoid two word names. Domains with a single word are easier for people to remember and google.
    Avoid 'clever' spellings like 'Lenz' etc, you only have to keep explaining it to people.
    As Zaskar said, get a pro to design a logo, and keep it simple. Artwork can be a fortune to reproduce for letterheads and cards if they are full of colour and graduations.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    .As Zaskar said, get a pro to design a logo, and keep it simple. Artwork can be a fortune to reproduce for letterheads and cards if they are full of colour and graduations.
    Was going to get me to do it . Looks like some one else now :cry:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast