Thread: Sin City

1. Default Sin City

I just watched Sin City and loved the effects in the movie.

Can someone tell me how to change your original footage to B&W and then select one piece of the footage and change the colour.

One scene had a woman wearing a bright red dress whilst everything else was B&W for at least 30 seconds. Would you need to colour the dress frame by frame?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.

Virtualy the entire film is green screened, the backgrounds, floors, and so on. The creators would have made sure her dress was a colour other than green/whatever other colours happened to be in the set, and then keyed it out.

Recreating the effect any other way would be very difficult...

Blog Entries

There's a preset effect in Premiere Pro that can do this for you: the color (or colour) pass effect. There will no doubt be a thousand and one turorials on the net for colour pass effects in Premiere Pro.

there are lots of ways to do this effect. One way would be to export the video to flm format, open in photoshop and make a new layer, over that new layer paint black over the dress in all shots. Then make another layer, go back the the first layer and use the magic marqie tool and select everthing outside those black masks in 1 click. Then, paintbucket black on layer 2. After that inverse the selection and delete the first later and the video layer, now you have nothing more then a mask of everything but the dress outline. Then export the flm file back out under a different name and inport into adobe after effects overlay on top of original video and select a desaturate filter. So now everything but the dress has lost color. And then change the hue of the original file.

I know my expanation wasnt quite newbie friendly but its just one way to go about it

Or you could always just do all your coloring stuff in photoshop.But masking it will give you more control to perfect 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Colour Pass in Premiere is the easiest way of doing this. If you have anything else in frame the same colour that you do not want to leave then add a garbage matt.

You'll be surprised just how easy this is to do. Just don't try to hold your breath while it renders though

6. Default

Thanks for the great tips..

I will try each of them so I can find the best and easiest way of doing it.
    Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.