Thread: FX test for upcoming project

Default FX test for upcoming project

Filmed on a Panasonic NV-DS30, imported onto a Apple Mac G4 using iMovie (Premiere drops too many frames for my liking), rotoscoped in Commotion Pro 4.1, layered/coloured/blurred in After Effects 5.5, sounds & music added in Premiere, removal of original blade done in Photoshop 7. *Phew!* Took me 4.5 hours for 10 seconds worth of footage. Looking forward to the 15 minute long short we're planning!

Edit File is a Quicktime .mov file at 977kb

http://www.zen26627.zen.co.uk/images/sabretest1.mov

2. Default

dude that was awesome , can u teach me how to do that please?

I take it you have the necessary software to do it. The best place for the lightsaber "recipe" is here: http://www.crewoftwo.com/making/effe...ipe/index.html

Just follow that, you should be cool

Default Re: FX test for upcoming project

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpunk
    Filmed on a Panasonic NV-DS30, imported onto a Apple Mac G4 using iMovie (Premiere drops too many frames for my liking), rotoscoped in Commotion Pro 4.1, layered/coloured/blurred in After Effects 5.5, sounds & music added in Premiere, removal of original blade done in Photoshop 7. *Phew!* Took me 4.5 hours for 10 seconds worth of footage. Looking forward to the 15 minute long short we're planning!

Edit File is a Quicktime .mov file at 977kb

http://www.zen26627.zen.co.uk/images/sabretest1.mov
    very nicely done
    may prove very useful when you're into sf

That was a very nice clip. one of the best "lightsaber" sequences I've seen.
    the box said windows 98 or better.
    so I bought a mac

What are you guys using to view this movie? The latest version of Quicktime player says "No Dice". I've got v6.5 and get the message
    ...required compressor could not be found
    so what am i missing?

OK. got it now Having done what i thoguth was a full quicktime install I had to do a 'grab updates' to get everythign i needed.

So on to my critique of the test footage.

I liked it. What I would suggest though, is to add a larger colour glow around the 'white' of the sabre. At the moment it is a little too white with not enough colour. I'm just concerned that when you are battling womone else with a different colour that there just might not be enough contrast between them.

One other comment. I noticed that at the end of one of the 'attack swipes' the blade wobbled. Try to avoid this as it gives the game away that what you've really got in your hand is (presumably) a plastic light sabre.

Good work though. Keep it up. I'll be looking out for the final product over at www.fanfilms.com soon!!

Nice! By the way I too feel your pain!!

http://www.haltwhistlefp.co.uk/lightsaber.wmv

This is 2:30 in length, took me 70 hours, yes 70 HOURS to do:

Includes 2 hours sleep through the whole thing ( had a deadline), 4/5 hours render time, 2 hours editing, 1 hour eating and the rest rotoscoping in After Effects!

This isnt perfect but I was pleased with the output, and I vowed never to do a lightsaber battle ever again after this...

PS - Just looked over the video and its not as good as the DV one, but you get the idea! Its the best I could encode it to.

Quote Originally Posted by millsy
    OK. got it now Having done what i thoguth was a full quicktime install I had to do a 'grab updates' to get everythign i needed.

So on to my critique of the test footage.

I liked it. What I would suggest though, is to add a larger colour glow around the 'white' of the sabre. At the moment it is a little too white with not enough colour. I'm just concerned that when you are battling womone else with a different colour that there just might not be enough contrast between them.

One other comment. I noticed that at the end of one of the 'attack swipes' the blade wobbled. Try to avoid this as it gives the game away that what you've really got in your hand is (presumably) a plastic light sabre.

Good work though. Keep it up. I'll be looking out for the final product over at www.fanfilms.com soon!!
    Thank you for your comments. In response, the colour glow around the white of the sabre is lost when I make the video as small as it is. At full screen, it is more than adequate, although I must admit I wish I had chosen a deeper blue, the more and more I watch it, the less I like the colour I've chosen.

There is another MAJOR cock-up in it! When the blade goes off-screen, I lost track of my bezier curve and it went ALL over the place.....looks quite amusing I think, but for a first effort - not bad.

The short we're planning is coming along nicely now. Location/crew/actors are booked, we're just waiting for the final (hopefully) script and the choreography (by 5 Times World Karate Champion Geoff Thompson MBE) to be finished, then we'll be shooting. Should be good, we have some interesting ideas for the fight itself (some of it to be shot on 4-way split screen "CCTV" footage - which will make it a nice job for rotoscoping!!!) and we're looking to make it a DVD, with commentaries/making of documentaries etc....I'll let you know!