Thread: Tripods ??

Default Tripods ??

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a Sony A1E and was wondering if any of you talented people new of a decent tripod thats not to expensive.?? Say around 200 -250..

I was told the Libec th650 was good and you could change the tapes easier as the Sony's a bottom loader.

Any info

Cheers

DeanB

Blog Entries

For that money you can get a second hand vinten pro 5, i think it's 5. I got one for 200 and it is a REAL tripod.

Cheers Zaskar,

I was originally looking at Vinten or Sachtler. But a man at a well known camcorder store creatively told me that with the libec you can change tapes without taking the cam off.??

DeanB

Blog Entries

Have a look at the Manfrotto range. Vinten and Sachtler are part of the Manfrotto group anyway and most of the legs are made by Manfrotto then given a different lable.

My personal advice is not to go too big. If it's heavy and bulky you'll be less likely to schlep it around. For a PD170 and bits the 501/745 kit I have is more than up to the task and I've used BetaSP kit on it without any problems. It's at the top end of your budget but I'm a bit wary of getting used heads having had mates who have been stung when they've bought second hand.

The point is that a used head may have a couple of sticky positions which you won't notice when you buy it, no matter how carefully you test it. It's not until you're doing a really slow pan with maximum zoom, then you realise why the bloke sold it. If you're not worried too much about weight then you can also pick up the superb 116mk3 heads at a good price at the moment because Manfrotto's bought out lighter versions and the old stock isn't popular. Big but smooth. Bit like me really.

I've also got a 540Art/510 kit which is loverly. Okay it's expensive but I really can recommend it. I use Vinten and Sachler daily and they are good (obviously) but the smaller ones are just re-badged Manfrottos and second hand can be dodgy in my opinion.

Blog Entries

second the above from guru. Dont worry about this tape loading thing, sounds like sales flim flam to me. Ask yourself this - how often do you actually change a tape when the camera is set up ? Well mostly never innit? Also all heads are quick release so the cam is off the tripod in a jiffy anyway.

I got my tripod from a friend who tends to buy things new and never use them so I was confident of the heads condition but I think you should listen to the Guru as Gurus only speak the truth and if you dont listen he may curse your tapes to always have drop outs, I bet he can, he looks well Guruish.

Cheers guru & Zaskar,

I was told about the Manfrotto / Vinten deal at the shop today. As my A1E is for mainly underwater work it will not be on the tripod that much. Another twist to the tail is I will hopefully be purchasing a better cam soon, maybe the HDV Canon. I am now looking at the Manfrotto 503525 for both cams. Love the fluid head. after my sony vct870rm its bliss.

Cheers again

DeanB

P.s any heads up on shops with the best deals. I went to HPrestons in Malvern for the A1E which was a good price. 1643.

Hi There

As Video Channel Sales Manager for Manfrotto/Lowepro may I also suggest you take a look at the 701RC2745 MDV kit for the A1E. Its lightweight and is ideal for the A1E size. I use it with a PD 170 but it's slightly too heavy for the counterbalanced head.

If you can make it to Video Forum next month you will be able to play with all our tripods

I will endeavour to assist you in any enquiries re our two product ranges and you can contact me through Daymen International on 01902 864646

Best wishes

Peter

Cheers Peter,

I'll be looking you up in the future.

DeanB

Hi all,

Visited the Daymen stand at videoforum 2006. I tried to speak to you Peter but you were apparently like the scarlet pimpernel...

I have opted for the 503 head and the 755 legs...

It cost me 310

Cheers for the help everyone

DeanB