Thread: Predator - Glowing eyes possible?

Default Predator - Glowing eyes possible?

Hi,

I've got a video clip onwhich i want to make a persons eyes glow like the Predator did in the Arnold schwarzanegger film.

What would be the best way of doing this? I've got after effects pro 6.5, prempro 1.5 and photoshopCS if it would bebetter using these in combination.

Would i have to move the glow on each frame so they stay in the correct position over the eyes or am i way off the mark? Finding a tutorial for this effect is impossible for images where the persons eyes are moving on the footage.

Many thanks!!

Blog Entries

Yes, you'll need to keyframe movement so that the "glow" effect moves with the eyes.

yeah basicly what mark said your gonna have to keyframe the movement to the eyes
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

If you re-watch the movie you'll notice one key thing about this effect. The monster is never moving when the eyes flash. So to reproduce what they did in the movie is easy enough. Just create a 'glowing eyes' graphic in Photoshop with alpha channel. Overlay it over your movie and fade it in and out.

But if your subject is moving then, depending on the amount of movement and subject scaling going on you might have to rotoscope it. or you may just be able to take your glowing eyes still and keyframe both position and scale to get what you want.

But when you go back to original movie you'll notice that it's a 'false' effect anyway so consider again whether you really need it. By that I mean, in the movie the monster did not have glowing eyes. The effect was only there to make sure the stupid ones amongst us actually knew there was an invisible monster on screen that they wanted you to be aware. Look again, they only used that juicy invisible cloak effect when they actually wanted the audience to 'see' the invisible monster. There are some shots where he would have been on screen but was completely invisible.

Wow, thanks guys (and gals ),

I'm only just getting into this stuff but this will help a lot. I'll try it over the next couple of days and then post the results for you all to have a look at.

Cheers