Thread: Help. Time stretching frames in After Effects

Default Help. Time stretching frames in After Effects

I've got a video footage frame in my composition and I want it to play in slow motion half way through the clip. I'm using the Time Stretch feature but when I apply it, it plays the whole frame in slow mo.

How do I set it (keyframe?) so that it only begins the slow-mo at the required point in the clip? I tried the three options in the time-stretch window but it seems to make no difference.

Thanks!!!!!!

Blog Entries

What you want to do (ramping) is not a feature of Premiere Pro. You would need a third party plugin such as Twixtor (bloody good) or use After Effects.

You could try cutting youyr video into sections with varying speeds... but you won't get a good result.

mark the post was after effects, lol

The key to using after effects correctly is do not try to do your whole clip in it, its nothing more then a compisition software. Not editing therefor you only need to inport the actual Slice of footage that actually needs the effect. Edit it in premier and just export out the peice you need, slowmo it then export back out back into premier
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by karmatized
    mark the post was after effects, lol

The key to using after effects correctly is do not try to do your whole clip in it, its nothing more then a compisition software. Not editing therefor you only need to inport the actual Slice of footage that actually needs the effect. Edit it in premier and just export out the peice you need, slowmo it then export back out back into premier
    I was wondering about this. After effects seems to do a lot of what prem pro does and i was wondering why there was such a product overlap.

So do all the editing in Prem Pro and just do the effects on the sections needed in AE? Is this the best way? Any basic advice is apprieciated!

well if your only want to slow a peice down why would you put the whole thing into after effects, Premiere is Editing and after effects is compisition.

Like i said just the peices that need effects or work go into after effects. and all editing should stay in premiere
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

If you have Prem Pro then you can use the razor tool to chop at the point you want to slow mo then chop at the point you want to resume normal speed.

Then the section of video can have it's speed altered by right clicking and choosing the Speed/Duration option.

Chris

But back to the question at hand. It's not in front of me so this is from memory.

There are basically two routes to slo (or fast) motion in AE. both I think are more than adequately covered in the online help. There is Time Stretching whcih you've found and then there is "Time Remapping". Search for that in the online help. Once you've got the right help page I personally foudn that it is more than adequate in shoing you how to keyframes the gradual time changes.

It takes a lot of time and patience to get it just right because you have to allow for the time displacement when placing your keyframes. It's a little hit and miss from memory but it's worth it.

Also, I this function is adequate in AE but not a patch on what you can do with a plugin like Twixtor (Marc is right to mention it). However, I also believe that this area has had a significant make-over for v7.

hope this helps.