Thread: dvd-r which disks 1-4x or 1-8x. Rewriter speed burns at 4x !

Default dvd-r which disks 1-4x or 1-8x. Rewriter speed burns at 4x !

You have no idea how good it felt to find this site. Will someone please help before I have a nervous breakdown. I have writtren some video to a JVC dvd-r 1-8x disk. Sometimes when I put it in the MV dvd player it plays fine but other times it comes up no disk. More often than not no disk. I have to take it put and put in in and take it out and so on until it eventually will play. The dvd player supports dvd-r as its on the front of the player. Why does it do this? My brother sends me dvd-r's that are write speed 1-4x and they play fine. So after buying 5 dvd+r's that didn't play and 10 dvd-r's 1-8x that work sometimes shoud I go and buy some dvd-r's 1-4x ?? Will these play?

Please help before I start banging my head on a hard wall !!!! :cry:

Sadly, the industry is not quite at the stage where all players will play all brands of disks.

Historicall, this has been the case with just about every media type I know. Back in the early to mid 80's it was not guaranteed that a 3.5 in floppy, written on one PC could actually be read on a different computer. Same thing here I expect.

But more so a case of your DVD player is not able to play the particular brand of DVD-R you have. 1-4x or 1-8x times should make no difference I think. It's more likely the brand that's the issue. Check the manufacturuer's web site and look for a list of compatible DVD-R brands for your player.

Also, anothe rbig issue that stops DVD-R playing on players is putting a sticky label on the disk. Advice based on my personal experience is to NEVER do this. If you want a nice label for the disk then buy printable DVD-R and print onto the disk using a suitable printer. NEVER EVER put a sticky label on a DVD-R.

Blog Entries

Hi Karl
    I used to have exactly the same problem with a standalone Liteon DVD recorder. A right royal pain in the ass piece of crap it was. It started off just doing it on DVD-Rs and eventually progressed on to proper bought films. Some players are just temperamental and that's all there is to it. I threw it in the bin in disgust in the end.

Along similar lines: I have a DVD drive and a DVD-RW drive (different makes) and sometimes a DVD won't load in one but will load in the other... I've always managed to get it to load in one of them, though.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Thanks for that can you help me with something else that is really confusing me I have a sony 8x dvd +/- rw. I thought this would do everything but my brother has told me I should have bought a multi layer writer, what is this? I tried to copy a dvd and I got the message 'contains multi sessions some items may not be copied'

Thanks, Karl