Thread: Video quality of SVCD vs VHS

Default Video quality of SVCD vs VHS

I've burned my video as a SVCD and was not satisfied with the video quality. It did not even come close to the test clip I made on my VHS tape (direct transfer from my Sony DV camcorder to VHS at SP speed).

I thought the SVCD was supposed to be a bit better than VHS.

I used Studio 8 to capture (.avi) and edit. I used TMPEnc to encode it to mpeg2 format and VCDEasy to burn it CD Rom.

What am I doing wrong?

Harvey

well, it obviously won't look better than the source, so i'm assuming it looks worse, and that's the problem.

Tmpgenc ain't the best mpeg encoder about. It's cheap though, so you'll want to get the most out of it. Did you make sure you did a 2-pass VBR encode?

What exactly IS the problem, by the way? blockiness or whatever? Give us a bit more to go on, and we'll be better able to help, but i'm guessing you did a single pas cbr.

The picture is a bit fuzzy on the edges and sometimes there is a bit of blockiness when people are moving around. But the main gripe is that I always thought is was supposed to be better than VHS or is it only better than VHS on SLP mode?

Of course, I am a novice in this category. And I didn't do a 2-pass VBR encode. I will try that. BTW, what would be the best encoder out there?

I am assuming that the encoder built into Studio isn't that great. Is the Studio encoder any better burning videos onto DVD? I was thinking about getting one soon.

Thanks,

Harvey

for encoding, i love canopus procoder. tis dear though.

you should definitely do vbr. svcd quality should beat vhs no probs. i can't vouch for studio's encoder, unfortunately.