Thread: NTSC Video Camera & Premier Elements 2.0

Default NTSC Video Camera & Premier Elements 2.0

New to this forum. I live in the UK, but have an NTSC Sony miniDV camera and loads of tapes that I wish to edit down and put onto DVD.
    My question is: Will this work ok and will Premier 2.0 handle the editing and transfer to DVD such that they play on a UK DVD player? And will there be any loss of quality?
    At present I can playback my recordings, via the camera thru RCA socket, on my UK TV (it handles both NTSC and PAL)
    Thanks

Blog Entries

You'll be able to edit in NTSC fine by using an NTSC project setting, but transcoding the video to MPEG2 for DVD authoring will prove a problem (potential sycnch problems etc).

I would suggest you look into purchasing software such as:
    http://www.puremotion.com/dvconverter/index.htm

You can edit in NTSC, then export to DV AVI. Convert this to PAL, then transcode to MPEG. Although DV is a lossy codec, you should be good for upto 5 encodes before quality loss kicks in, so exporting and transcoding won't be an issue.

Blog Entries

Just re-read your post. If your TV accpets an NTSC signal (and chances are so does your DVD player), just go NTSC all the way. Edit with an NTSC setting, then export an NTSC DVD.

Default NTSC & Premiere 2

Thanks Marc, I was hoping you would say that (your second answer!). I thought NTSC TV and NTSC DVD's were slightly better quality, anyway. Am I right?