Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing an Actor from a Scene

Default Removing an Actor from a Scene

Is it possible to remove an Actor from a scene that is using a moving camera?

I know it is, but is it something you have to shell out thousands of pounds to do?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Removing an Actor from a Scene

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Oakley
    Is it possible to remove an Actor from a scene that is using a moving camera?
    No. There's no record of what's "behind" the actor.

Hi Chris

Never say die Marc, time for a bodge job me thinks; Chris is it possible to shoot the background the actor was standing against a second time? There's a technique where you shoot the empty background (camera on a tripod or dolly) and then shoot the same scene again with the actor or whatever new element in it. Then in After Effects you can either cut a hole using the eraser or use the masking tool to cut the actor out on one layer to reveal the empty layer underneath. I think it's called 'shooting a backplate'.

Blog Entries

I think the key words here are "moving camera". If you reshot, you'd have to ensure you get exactly the same movement, depth etc. Very hard to do with a handheld. Perhaps impossible?

Yes, unless Chris has access to a motion control camera he'll have to stick to static shots.

This is what I thought. You would need some kind of computer controlled dolly to move the camera exactly the same on both shoots I suppose.

I understand you can then cut a hole in the top layer with the actor on to show the underneath.

Just wanted to check there wasn't a simple solution that I was missing.

Cheers fellas

Blog Entries

Chris, I assumed you had already shot this footage and wanted to delete the reference to someone in post.

Depenmding on what the background is and the scale of the image you might be able to do this the same way I made my footballer invisible in "West Ham Nil" a year or two ago.

I basically rotoscoped it (i deliberately made the sequences short). Open up the individual frame in apaint program and cut and paste a section of background over the top of the person to be removed. Obviously the background must match.

When I did this, with a grass/woodland background the person was fairly much complete invisible. I had to adjust the effect so thaqt you could see them at all. for those who haven't seen this, I was trying to reproduce the 'Invisible Predator' look so the view had to be away of them actually being there.

Anyway, for my purposes this worked very well but it will depend on the clip in question.

Good idea Alan, time consuming, but good.

Sorry Marc I should have said I haven't filmed anything yet. I'm merely asking what is the best procedure to use before wasting my time doing it wrong lol.

Thanks for the help folks.

Blog Entries

Why exactly do you want to "remove" him from a scene. If you explain exactly what you want to achieve someone will probably tell you an even easier way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast