Thread: Export to DVD takes 6 or 7 hours

Default Export to DVD takes 6 or 7 hours

I captured a 3 hour PAL video tape. This ended up being 36 GB on the Hard Drive. When I tried to export to DVD (encoding VBR - approx. 3.8 GB) it literally took all day to burn to DVD.

Should it really take this long to transcode and burn? Is this normal or is there something wrong?

System:

P4 Celeron 2.3 Ghz
    768 Mb PC3200 ram
    Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 (updated to 1.5.1)
    120 GB SATA Drive for capture
    Windows XP SP1
    Matrox G550 dual head graphics card (32 meg)
    Creative Soundblaster Live Platinum Sound Card
    Matrox X Tools build 6122 + Hotfixes
    Web Design - professional web design services.
    UNIX web Hosting

normal....

It can take a while depending on resolution and settings, also keep in mind anything you do in terms of Transitions and effects of any kind increase the time it takes. Its compleatly normal. You just have to sit it out and read or book or something
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

scrap the celeron processor, shouldnt take nearly as long with say a 3.4 ghz ht pentium 4!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Yes ditch the celeron processor and get a Pentium 4 with HT, it's just too slow for video work and you need to upgrade to Service Pack 2 for Windows. A little bit more memory say One Gig would also be a good idea. Do you really need three hours of continous footage? The whole idea of video is to make a short enjoyable film rather than a James Cameron where your audience gets bored after half an hour and start yawning and looking at their watches.

What I was describing was that a customer wanted a 3 hour video tape converted to DVD. I ended up chopping it in half and putting it on 2 discs. Straight conversion - no effects or frills.
    UNIX web Hosting

but i'd still scrap the celeron, they are a processor for email and web.. (hardly) my friend has Ppro 1.5, and a celeron, and he cannot print to tape... it messes up after a few minutes!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Nikosony mentioned that I "need to upgrade to Service Pack 2 for Windows". Is this really necessary? I have read the nightmare stories about SP2, both generally and specific to Adobe PP.
    UNIX web Hosting

sp2 doesnt have problems really, its PP that has the issue, And its easy to fix, doesnt happen with the current version.

Premeir pro 1 had the issue pp 1.5 is fine

pp 1 had an issue when rendering to MPEG file it would crash out of no where. It was easy to fix tho all you needed to was rename your pp exe file to anything else and fix the shortcut.
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

I can't speak for everyone on this forum but if you've purchased a PC recently or built one yourself I'm 99% certain it will have SP2 on it. I bought a HP last March and it ran fine up until November and then it developed a few problems... Bad BIOS Checksum and No Input Signal to name two of them. No one has said anything about SP2 causing either of them.