Thread: How do i make a video to be "downloadable"

Default How do i make a video to be "downloadable"

Hello everyone, this is my first post here it seems to be a forum full of usable information, i have been in many web design forums looking for help but nothing till now, i am building a web site for a non profit project, en we are planning to make some videos in the future, the big problem is we are all amateurs, no skills 0 knowledge about video making or editing but we are willing to learn on the way, by now we need to upload a couple of videos but we want to make them downloadable to see it, and not to play it on the site, i am using bluevoda site builder,but everytime i upload the files i see the windows media player, and actually i want to make a text to download the files some suggestions would be really appreciated
    http://www.vodahost.com/

if I understand you correctly then to allow people to download you videos from your website is to ftp the video (.wmv .mov .avi etc etc) to your webspace and in your html file simply hyperlink to the file directly. That's it.

then if people click on the link it will download and play the file, maybe opneing Windows Media Player to do it. This is not something to fight against. Thge 'user' need only right-click on th elink and seleect the 'save as' option to download onto their hard drive for playback later.

I hope this answers your question. Just ask if you need more.

Blog Entries

To elaborate, simply use the following:

Code:
    <a herf="http&#58;//www.yoursite.com/video.avi">This is my video</a>

Hi Alan thanks for replying.. if i understand you right do i have to upload the videos through my ftp manager to my web space, am i right?, someone told me that i can compress the files, upload to my server and then normally link to them, i have try to compress them with (7 zip) and (cam unzip) without succes.

Hi Marc, do you mean i have to introduce this code in my html tool, linking my video directly to the web site i found it?? can i do that too, sorry for questions that can seem too silly..