Thread: n00b with a question.

Default n00b with a question.

Hey all, im kinda new to all this stuff so bear with me.

Just wondering if someone can give me a few points of advice or direct me to a resource that will help me with my question. Anyway. Last night i installed my dvd burner. The software i got with the burner is Sonic MyDVD and DivXburn (or something like). I have some MTV spiderman series i want to burnt to dvd. I have the first 13 episodes ready to go. They are in AVI's and mpg's format. Total size for them in windows is about 2.3 gigs. (They avg about 100-200 MB per episode).

Anyway, I added them into Sonic MYDVD (dvd screen and menu builder for your dvd's). I had two burn options, one was 4.3 gigs or so and another option for 2.3 gigs (approx) Sorry forget option names. I picked the larger one.

While adding the clips I noticed when i added certain mpgs the dvd disk space left was super dupper low where they should all fit on a single dvd. This one I added its file size was about 140mb or so, when i added it to the dvd it said it was over a gig in size. Whats going on here. Do i have to convert some of these mpgs into a different format. I looked around for mpg to avi converters. Couldnt find anything. Thanks for any help you can provide.

You might want to take a look at these links:

http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/How-to-make-a-DVD.html

http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=380

Essentially DVDs need MPEG2 files with a few further specs to guarantee compatability with a standalone. Some of your MPEG files may well be MPEG1 with smaller framerates and bitrates - hence why the would mysteriously increase in size.

Thanks for the links, got some good starting info I needed. .

Do most dvd burning software come with encoding options or are there seprate programs out there to change them.

DVD authoring apps are getting better, but the encoding options can be limited and don't offer the best quality encoding engines. I tend to use TMPGenc to encode my video, then use the Sonic DVDit the menus etc.