Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avi uploading

Default Avi uploading

I have a Panasonic NVGS-17 and when I upload using WMM or the software that came with the camera (ArcSoft Video Impression 1.6) as avi files, the video like slows down and speeds up and the audio goes all out of sync...what is causing this? I am using a usb cable.

Also, how do I upload as the same quality when I plug the camera straight into the tv?

I have been editing/filming bmx for a while, just decided now to try and get some rad quality out of it, sorry if this stuff is stupid.

Thank you.

I'm pretty certain this is all down tothe fact that you are doing your video transfers via the USB link. Always use the firewire to tranfer your video from a MiniDV camcorder.

f)

Default Another stupid question

Hi, new to the forum and its a lifesaver hopefully when I know what I am talking about I can give some advise.

In the meantime I use a usb link from my jvc dv to my laptop.

What is a firewire and how is it better than usb???

Thanks

Default Re: Another stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by karlb
    Hi, new to the forum and its a lifesaver hopefully when I know what I am talking about I can give some advise.
    and very welcome here you are.

In the meantime I use a usb link from my jvc dv to my laptop.
    Don't!

What is a firewire and how is it better than usb???
    Firewire is another type of connection used to connect cameras, hard drives and other stuff to your PC for data transfers. Similar in that respect to USB.

It differs in that it actually works for video transfer. Well, that's the bottom line here. I'm sure others will give the formal techy reasons why this is so but rest assured, it is the case.

What's curious and likely a contriobuting factor as to why newcomers make this mistake is that camcorder kits often come with software for video transfer and editing and they also supply a USB lead. If you throw the USB lead away, it'll be a good enough start. Make sure you have a firewire port on your PC and buyh a cheapo firewire lead to connect your camera to the PC and use that. You'll see all the difference in the world.

Remember that day when, after years opf watching VHS tapes, you saw the difference in picture (and sound) quality of a DVD. The difference between transfers made using USB and firewire are pretty much in thios proportions.

Default Why oh why

Perfect just bloody perfect why is nothing straight forward. My laptop does not have a firewire port. Installing that can only mean something else that can go wrong !!!

Thanks for your help and advice Alan, its apprecaited.

Karl

Blog Entries

PCMCIA firewire upgrade cards are available for laptops Karl.

Default found it !!

There is a god. I have found a 4 pin 1394 connector on my laptop. Hooray. Does that mean all I need is a lead from this port to my JVC DV? How do I know the 1394 port is up and running?

Thanks
    Karl

Blog Entries

As soon as you plug in the camera, Windows will automatically detect it and let you know.

Default one more

Sorry, one more question.

When I plug in the dv to the usb port to capture video files I have to use the software I loaded that came with the dv. If I try to use another dvd software program and click on capture it will not let me, why is that? Do I need to use the software that came with my dv?

Thank you
    Karl

Blog Entries

Karl.... THROW AWAY THE USB! I would expect only the software supplied with it to work with it, and as you've heard, Firewire is your only way forward. The other software you're referring to is most likely looking for that firewire connection.

f)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast