Thread: DV Bridge advice needed!

Default DV Bridge advice needed!

Hi All,

First post here so I’m hoping someone can help me out with some good advice.
    I tried to get into digital video editing a few years ago but was put off by a bad product I bought. It was the ‘Dazzle DV-Hollywood Bridge’, sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. Anyway, I have decided to give it another try and yet again the Dazzle has proved to be very unreliable to the point that it is now in the bin. So I am now looking for a new Analogue to digital bridge with a firewire connection and was toying with buying the ‘Cameo Convert 800 Digital Video Editing System’ by Terratec ( ) ... or something similar ???

I don’t want to end up making another ‘bad choice’ so I thought it best ask for some advice!

At the moment I have a bunch of Hi-8 and VHS tapes to transfer and edit and currently use Movie Edit Pro (which is also about 2 years old) so any recommendation for a better editing suit would be welcome.

Err - Northamptonshire?

The spec on that looks good, but I'm not familiar with the company. Not necessarily a problem, although buying a more popular company's products can make it easier to find 'informal' support. Me? I had aload of old VHS tapes to convert and bought a Canopus ADVC-55 with which I've been absolutely thrilled. It's about the same price as the Terratec. Compared with what you're looking at, I think the ADVC-55 is analog to digital only rather than analog to digital and digital to analog - not sure if that would be an issue for you. Oh, and I use Premiere Pro - but given my very limited horizons and even more limited editing skills, I use only about 0.00001% of what it'll do. I'd suggest Premiere Elements - again, a wealth of 'informal' support available (like here) and, if you outgrow Elements' abilities, migration to Pro would be pretty painless.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

Terratec is a name familiar with me. I'm sure they are bundled with a well known editing applicaction. Perhaps Vegas.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Unhelpfull comment - Avoid any product with hollywood in the name. I got some hollywood toothpaste the other day and that was foul and the hollywood bowl near me is full of chavvy adhd kids and troglodyte parents eating junk food....

Default Re: DV Bridge advice needed!

Thanks everyone. I decided to try the the DVD Xpress USB 2 bridge. So far it is working out fine although I needed to intall a USB2 pci card to be able to achive the data rates to record AVI files.

Not sure how you guys work but I prefer to capture as DV-AVI files (yes, I know they are huge so I bought a couple of 300GB hard drives) and edit and then export the final master avi to mpeg2.

It came bundled with 'Video Studio 8' which has an excellent converter however I still prefer to edit my AVI's in 'movie maker pro' and then compile my DVD in Video studio. Movie maker pro is so easy to use and edit with IMO.