Thread: clearing sound

Default clearing sound

i have filmed people talking from a distance so i have to increase the volume pretty much for a normal audio level. obviously this also increases all the unnecessary background hiss sounds and noises
    what would be the best way to clear the audio so that only the volume of the talking will be increased?

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Quite difficult this one.

if it was general noise i.e. the hum of an air conditioner or something like that thenit would be easy enough to isolate the particular frequencies and lower their volume.

Trying topick out and amplify one voice in a room of many (if I understand you right) will be tough indeed.

I know it's little comfort to you right now on this problem but the best way to fix audio is to get it right in the beginning. i.e. source the conversation you actually want with external microphones etc.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

This is a difficult task. The first thing to do is filter the audio, voice depends on the frequency range from 300 to 3000 HZ, so reducing the levels of frequencies outside that range is a good start. I hope your software has such filters. If not, I think there are some free audio editors that can do the work. Audacity is one.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

yeah, thanks for replies
    i actually have goldwave i think it will do the job
    it seems it even has a filter called "hiss removal"
    if it doesn't work good enough i'll try to recude the levels manually

Western Europe

Hi wearedevo

Alan is spot on about the external microphones. The next time you are recording a similar piece beg borrow or steal a microphone and attach it to a stand or put it on a boom and get someone to hold it just out of shot. Or if you can get two tie clip mics and feed them into a 'splitter' plug with two inputs and one output that can plug into the mic socket on your camera this will save you a lot of hassle later on.

Crap in = Crap out.

You will be able to reduce the problems with various plugins, but it will never sound great if you it doesn't sound great going in.

Crap in = Crap out.

Your plugins may help reduce the problems you are having, but they will only go so far.

If possible, get the sound exactly like you want it in the beginning.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

'Crap in - crap out', very true. Many film makers get all into cool cameras and good shooting techniques only to ignore the importance of good sound. I think good sound is actually more important than good video.

I strongly suggest that anyone doing anything more than home vids gets some mics and learns how to use them. I have a tie clip mic, a hand held 'reporters' mic and a short shotgun and use them where each shines. Spend at least as much on mics and sound equipment as you do on your camera and learn how to get good sound.