Thread: HDR-FX1e 2 Questions

Default HDR-FX1e 2 Questions

I have the Sony HDR-FX1e (PAL) and have been shooting in normal DV mode as I do not possess any Video Editing Software capable of HD.

Now I am contemplating the upgrade from Premier 6:5 to Pro 1:5:1 which is HD capable.

My main question is : Can I record in HD mode on the Camera on a normal Sony Mini DV Tape? or do I have to use the Sony HD Tapes which are quite expensive.

2nd Question : How often should one have the Video Cam professionally cleaned and checked?

Sure you can use normal MiniDV tapes, twice cheaper as the Sony 'HD recommended' ones.
    As for cleaning.. it really depends. Get it done when you feel necessary.

Listen to svhs. He's right.

I always use these in my FX1E http://tinyurl.com/cphys (link to amazon.co.uk withouth all the kerfuffle). Cheap as chips (at least from this link they are, and I've never had drop-out yet.

One more thing to add though. Whether editting in HDV or SD, always always always record in high def on that camera. It's generally accepted (and I agree) that having the camera downconvert on the fly during capture from HD to SD gives a better image than recording as SD from the beginning. plus, ifyou do record in HD you have theoption of re-capturing in HD later on when you upgrade to Pro 1.51.

One littel caveat to remember though for HDV editting in Premiere pro. It works but if you want to use your HDV footage in other application (in mycase AE6.5 and ParticleIllusion3) then purchasing the Cineform Aspect HD plugin is a pre-requisite. pro1.51 does not come with a 'complete' HDV codec so be warned. the editing works fine but only as long as you only use PPro1.5

Default Thankyou for your help

I have to thankyou for your advice about my question re the Sony FX1e.

I have had it some 12 months now and always shot in normal DV....silly me.

OK From to-day its in HD Format.

I previously owned and used a VX2000 and I thought it generated better video than the FX1e so lets see how we go on HD

Many Thanks

5. Default

Hi guys, like to know something.

How is the HD down convert to SD video quality compare to Canon XM2 SD? I am thinking of buying either one of these cam for my future turn to pro wedding shooting, that is, if you have handled these 2 cams & made comparison.

Thanks in advance

I've only ever owned/used Sony camcorder so sorry I can;t offer a comparison.

However, if it helps at all, I would rather downconvert my FX1 to SD than capture from my TRV33E any day.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    I've only ever owned/used Sony camcorder so sorry I can;t offer a comparison.

However, if it helps at all, I would rather downconvert my FX1 to SD than capture from my TRV33E any day.
    Thanks, its good enough to understand that FX1 produce such quality .

Perhaps I am just being a pefectionist myself, would expect more than just 'decent' image. That's why can't decide between XM2, FX1 & GS400(in my other post).