Thread: Files Imported as Widescreen but

Default Files Imported as Widescreen but

can I change it back to 720x480. I didn't pay attention when I was capturing my video at the beginning. DUH! And imported it in widescreen settings. I'm finished with the Wedding Dvd, but now have this problem. I need it to be back to 720x480 and was hoping I didn't have to recapture it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

First a little background to help you understand.

Widescreen is 720x480, it's just the pixel aspect ratio that's different. By pixel aspect ratio, we mean the size of each little square that makes up the video - in widescreen, each pixel is stretched out when played back, so that the image is wider.

Now when you export 4:3 video (aka "FULL" Screen) that's been imported into a 16:9 (aka WIDEscreen), you get bars on each side of the screen. If you import 4:3 into a 16:9 project, you get black bars on each side of the video too - can you confirm that this is the case.

The problem is that these black bars take up some of your 720x480 resolution, so your video quality will actually be reduced. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to change the project settings.

Here's what I would do. Start a new project with the correct settings. Now go file > import and browse to your pproj (Premiere Project file), and import that. You should see a new folder in your Project window. Open that, then drag the sequence to the timeline.

Hey presto.

Yep, I do have black bars on the side of my video. And yes, thanks for correcting me on the size. I meant to say 4:3 vs 16:9.

I'll try that suggestion when I get home.

Default Thanks again!

Just got to fixing this today and you were correct! And saved me lots of time, thanks SO much! You can't fix the properties once it's in a project, but creating a new project and importing the avi files in again worked perfectly. Now I have an export of 4:3. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, MP!