Thread: AE 6.5 Standard - Can I use green-screen??

Default AE 6.5 Standard - Can I use green-screen??

Hey guys... I am fairly new to After Effects and have the "Standard" Edition of version 6.5 . I want to get started doing some DV work with chroma-key screens behind my subjects... but was told by a friend it would be near impossible to do without AE Professional version. Is he right? I wanted to ask if anyone knew if I could do the proper chroma keying in AE Standard edition 6.5. Thanks a ton for your help and advice! Take care.

Well, given that you can do chroma keying in Premiere I'd be very surprised if you can't do it in AE standard. Certainyl it's in the pro version.

Either way though, I think it's generally accepted that if you want the best chroma keying out there then go for a plugin.

Any particular DV keying Plug-ins you would recommend?

not from me I'm afraid. I;ve not doen a lot of green screening. not enough to start looking into plugins for it anyway.

I'm sure others will have recommendations.

I simply remember reading discussions here and there thating that "product X" is the best way to go. If only I could remember what product X actually is I could answer your question.

Basically though, I've found the keying in premiere pro tobe enough for my humble needs so far at least.

I have after fx 5.5 standard and have had alot of success using chromakeying in that

Hi seodevhead

The Chromakeying effects in either version of AE should be adequate for 99% of people. What is it your looking to do that might require plugins? Getting a smooth backcloth, getting it well lit and not getting any colour spill on the 'talent' or shadows falling on it, in my estimation is more important.