Thread: Premiere 6 - grid effect when using transparency

Default Premiere 6 - grid effect when using transparency

I am overlaying video on top of video in Premiere 6 via transparency. When I do this, render, and play back, a very slight grid effect appears on the picture. This problem is only slight, but is noticable. What I mean by a grid effect is small cubes covering the entire picture. The picture itself is not pixelated. Hard to explain, but I am hoping someone knows what the cause of this problem is and how to solve it!

Many thanks in advance.
    mrobbo

Arrow

Hi
    Last edited by jsamsworth; 02-08-2011 at 03:31 PM.

I use Premiere 6.0, I've seen this before and I believe it's due to the footage being re-encoded repeatedly from DV AVI to DV AVI, I've noticed it on overlayed tracks as you have,

I think a solution could be to export the movie from Premiere with a lossless codec, then encode to the final source (MPEG2 for DVD etc.)

as I haven't experienced the problem that badly I haven't experimented yet, but I will do now and get back to let you know if that plan solves the problem.

EDIT:
    Had a go at trying to solve it, not as easy as I'd hoped. There's some JPEGS in a zip file you can DL and look at: here

I did a simple bluescreen to overlay two layers (P6_bluescreen.jpg), then overlayed another layer on top with the screen transparency setting, this seemed to create bad blockyness (P6_3layers.jpg),

It helped quite a lot if I rendered the blue-screened layers and then imported this so I was using 2 layers, although there was still bad blockiness in areas of high contrast between the layers (P6_2layers.jpg).

but exporting in lossless formats didn't make any noticeable difference, maybe due to not changing the project settings, more messing about could provide an answer.

I then re-created the 2 layered version from Premiere 6.0 in Premiere Elements 2.0, I used the chroma keying effect rather than the unavailable screen, and I got even worse blockiness, especially in contrasty areas (PE_2layers.jpg).

So it seems like the problem isn't easy to solve, it would be interesting to see if it happens in Premiere Pro to the same extent...
    Last edited by bgarthp; 05-10-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i