Thread: Cutting and Organizing Clips

Default Cutting and Organizing Clips

I am creating a Wedding video for my cousing with Adobe Pro/AE/Encore. I have three video files from two camera's (same material, different shooters) for about 3 hours of raw footage. I am targeting a 30-45 minute finished video with a "extra scenes" section on the DVD. I have outlined a story board and am ready to tackle the raw footage to see what I have and grab/organize clips.

Can some one recommend a method and organization for doing the clips? I thought I would start by building a library of clips then assemble them into my story line. Is there a good naming convention for the files. All the recommendations I see are on the mechanics of using the SW. I have a handle on this am looking for recommendations basic editing methods, i.e., project organization, how to cut the clips, clip/file naming, etc.

Thanks,
    Dave

Not a wedding shooter my self but what the heck. I would name your cut clips to let say "car entering" , "i do's" "best mans speech". basically all the important stuff. But things like the "boring" bits of the service if you feel no need to then I wouldn't think it matters (you can of course come back to it). I would then work in "bins" so have one bin for video one for text ,one for audio ( music voice overs ect....) and one for photos if you're using them.

Just to expand on what LukeD said, yes do organize your clips into the main events of the day. Get all the main headings and put all the clips that work (in focus, well lit, correct white balance) into bins. You could also do a little work on the narritive and do parallel action building up to when the bride arrives at the church or whereever. Have you got any video or film of the bride or groom (that's assuming it's a 'straight' wedding) as they were growing up.

Thanks for the replies!

I do not have historical footage on the bride and groom. I do have some photographs I can mix in.

I have dived in. I made bins for before the ceremony, the ceremony and the reception. I put copies of the raw input into each bin and cut and labeled scenes. I am now starting to put these together into sequences mixing between the two camera's. I am rather impressed at how easy premeir makes this to do. The cameras have different lighting and audio qualities. I figure that I would work on the matching the lighting and audio on the next go around of editing. Any recommendations on the best way to do this?

Also Premier seems to conform audio. This is a real storage pig. These files currently take up 60GB. Do you know which are necessary?

I would also appreciate any other tips or recommendations that anyone may have.

Dave