Thread: Ram Preview

Default Ram Preview

Ok, I'm getting there guys. When I become a Pro, I will share the knowledge as well.

Here is my new problem:

When I do a RAM Preview in AE first of all it takes about 30-45 seconds to start. Is this normal? When it does start playing I can't hear any sound AND it doesn't play the whole composition. The status shows: "Playing from RAM: 121 of 10199 fps: 29.97 (real-time)" Is there a setting or something that I have to set to hear sound during my RAM Preview and for it to play the whole composition?

Ltrain

by no means an expert here but what i think is happening is....

The pause at the start is Ae rendering the timeline ready for playback. Only as much as will fit into the available RAM is actually rendered and played back.

Wow. So what can I do to optimize this. The video that I imported was only 7 min long. What happens when I want to edit a 1hr video. Or is the just not practical? How much RAM should I have. Right now I only have 512. Should I go 1gig? Will that be enough?
    :(

Thanks for your input.

I have no idea how to fine tune things.

You said one thing that makes me worried though...

What happens when I want to edit a 1hr video?
    You do NOT edit video in AE. AE is a compositting tool and not a video editor. Do you really have a 1 hr segment in need of special effects?

Generate your special effects in AE as small sequences. Export them as AVI. bring these into an editor and edit there.

But at leats when you do a proper export in AE it will dothe entire thing, unlike a RAM preview.

:idea: Ok, You are starting to clear the fog for me here. So you are saying I don't need to bring the entire sequence into my composition? I just bring in the 5 or 10 second clip that I need and then make my special effects.

Ok can you give me an example scenario? Say I am working on a 30 min piece of footage let's say on a motivational speaker. And I want to periodically create some nice graphic effect (created in illustrator) Which may display his name and is titles. Alright, I captured the raw footage to premiere and make the first edit. Now I am ready to work in after effects. What is a good procedure? Just the big picture is all I am asking for.

Thanks greatly for your input.

Export the 10 second clip you are actually interested in to an AVI file from Premiere.

import 10 second clip into AE project/composition.

Apply lots of fancy special effects to clip in AE.

Export from AE back to a different AVI file

Import the new AVI into Premiere

Lastly, either razor the old 10 second clip out and replace with the new one or just place the new AVI on the layer above the old one.

Either way, you will need to line it up frame perfect.

That seems a little cumbersome. Is that the way most people do it? Are there advantages to opening the premiere project file in AE and some how working with segments individually then save the project file back to premiere? I am just fishing here.

Quote Originally Posted by ltrain2015
    That seems a little cumbersome. Is that the way most people do it? Are there advantages to opening the premiere project file in AE and some how working with segments individually then save the project file back to premiere? I am just fishing here.
    I think you misundertood me. You can NOT open a Premiere Pro project file in After Effects.

You have to export a video clip to an AVI file and then bring that into a brand new AE project.

They are two seperate tools for two seperate jobs.

think of Premier pro (simplistically I know) as a roll of sticky tape for sticking many different pieces of coloured paper into oen long multi coloured one.

Now suppose someone comes along and says "I want a shiny star in the middle fo that one".

Well, pull just that one bit into AE, add a shiny star, then use Premiere Pro to stick it into the middle of your long stream of bits.

now you could stick them all together and then use AE toadd your shiny star into the middle fo the whole thing but that justmakes twice as much processing. You will have to render your entire movie once in Premiere and then again in AE just to add a star to maybe a hundred frames.

No dis-respect Alan. I REALLY appreciate you helping me out on this one, but I have actually opened a Premiere .proj file in After Effects. It automatically created a composition based on the Premiere sequence. I didn't know what I was doing after that but I was able to do it. Also I here many pro's talking about how it is great that with AE 6.5 they can open Premiere projects and work with them. I am not sure if this is some new functionality or what.

Quote Originally Posted by ltrain2015
    No dis-respect Alan. I REALLY appreciate you helping me out on this one, but I have actually opened a Premiere .proj file in After Effects. It automatically created a composition based on the Premiere sequence. I didn't know what I was doing after that but I was able to do it. Also I here many pro's talking about how it is great that with AE 6.5 they can open Premiere projects and work with them. I am not sure if this is some new functionality or what.
    I stand corrected. I've just never used it for that and wasn't even aware it could do it.

The best I can suggest is to read some books on both packages and/or hunt aroudn and read lots of tutorials. It is a grey area on when to use Premiere and when AE. They do overlap in functionality. Much more so for the beginner I think. By that I mean it becomes clearer which one to use the more you learn.