Thread: Underwater video from Cozumel, Mexico

Default Underwater video from Cozumel, Mexico

I've been working hard trying to get the right look in my videos without cheating (using fades and wipes). This is my latest effort. I've tried best I could to keep the action going in the same direction before and after a cut. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Coz Video

Default video

first of all nice video, what equipment did u use, umm looks good to me what kinda advice u asking about also what kinda of video file did u upload it as onto putfile

The advice I'm looking for is how you think the cuts look, are they distracting? Are they too sudden, causing an epileptic seizure? As I've watched more and more movies, I've realized that the really good ones do not rely on fades and wipes, but on planning the clips to flow from one to the other. That's my goal.

As for equipment, it's all pretty basic except for a few upgrades:

Sony TRV-240 Digital 8 Handycam
    Ikelite underwater housing
    Pentium 4, 3.0 Ghz processor
    1 gig ram
    system drive: ide 160 GB
    editing drive: 2 sata 80 GB drives using RAID 0
    nVidia 256 MB graphics card
    dual monitors
    EZ-Keyboard professional (I just wrote a review for this in the review section)
    Adobe Premier Pro 1.5
    Sonic MyDVD

The video is uploaded as an mpeg, I use my old copy of Pinnacle Studio 9 to compress because I think it does a better job than PPro. I believe it's saved as 460 x 320 at 1000 kbs, but I really don't remember.

Blog Entries

A little difficult here to know what you think could be wrong with it. The clips cut fine as far as I can see. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using cross fades occassionally either. Since you've used a pacey piece of music, I can't see anything wrong at all. The only thing perhaps I would have done differently is at the point where the blackout comes in. I would have faded to black, then jumped back in rather than hard cutting to black. But that's just me.

"The only thing perhaps I would have done differently is at the point where the blackout comes in. I would have faded to black, then jumped back in rather than hard cutting to black."

I'll give that a shot and see how I like it. I cut it sharp because the music starts and stop abruptly. Thanks for letting me know you think the edits are ok, like I said, it's my first attempt at trying for a more movie like appearance. I'm going to try my first fictional video this winter which should really be an interesting project.

Blog Entries

Thebes - Cross fades are used in movies to great effect too. Don't aim to only ever cut. It cannot work to the best every time. You need to judge which is suitable. I agree whizz-bang page curl effects etc are horrid but even they have their place occassionally. (VERY occassionally!)