Thread: Exporting Mpeg-2 Video file from Premier Pro 1.5

Default Exporting Mpeg-2 Video file from Premier Pro 1.5

Hey guys I have some edited video that I have made in Adobe Premier that I eventually want to put on to a DVD.

Heres my problem: I have the Mpeg-2 sequence exported a few times but every time there is either screen tearing or the quality of the text in the stills is very bad and pixelated. Eventually what I want to do is export all of my mpeg clips to whatever format I need them to be in so that I can use Nero to author my DVD with chapters and all of that good stuff.

Should I leave the files in mpeg when I export or should I put them in AVI? Keep in mind after I export it I am probably going to encode it again to be put on a dvd. TIA muchos

One other question thats off the subject... Whats a good , easy to use, program that can produce/author semi-professional quality DVDs? Thanks guys

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Anything you'll be working on later should be exported as DV-AVI. MPEG is not considered an editable format, but rather a final format for viewing.

DVD authoring programs convert the MPEGs to .VOB files by just adding in fast forward/reverse links and chapter points. Then they create the index tables, menus and links.

For DVD burning, Nero works fine. For authoring, NeroVision is fast and produces acceptible menus, static and animated, animated selection windows, timed buttons, but you can't make it do neat tricks like selecting different language tracks or autoreturn to next title, etc.

DVDLab Pro, $199US, will allow you to do most of the Hollywood menu tricks, if you're willing to put in the time to learn how to use it and to design the menus.

Before going overboard on the menus, just keep in mind the user will spend very little time futzing with them. That's not why he bought the DVD.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks man! I fixed the screen tearing and quality issues by simply upgrading the Windows Media Player codec so that is now solved.

So DVD format is really only a MPEG derivative with chapter points and the like?

Also, when I export from PremierPro1.5 all I am doing with the video after that is setting it up in NeroVision for the final DVD, with no further actual video editing. So knowing this, do you recommend I still use AVI in the stead of MPEG? Is the quality of MPEG the same as DV AVI?

I am editing video for a group of doctors teaching a procedure on dermal fillers and all of my scenes are zoomed up shots of the lips with insertion and extraction of the needle so I need maximum quality. I think NeroVision will do exactly what I need to do and aside from that I have about 3 days until my deadline and I havent begun authoring the DVD so I have about 72 hours to get this done. Thanks again man.

Re: AVI - No, MPEG is fine if you're not doing anymore effects or titles. Take some care in setting the MPEG-2 parameters. If this is for the USA (or North America), you'll want 720x480 frame size, 29.97 fps, GoP of 18 or less (15 is the norm), 4:3 aspect ratio, the bit rate should be high but less than 9,600kbps, 8,000kbps is fine unless your video is much longer than an hour, then you need to go lower to fit it into the 4.3gigabyte limit of a single layer DVD. If you have the option, use two pass variable bit rate compression.

Your audio track also needs to be accounted for in your overall file size. LPCM uses the most space, easily 1,500kbps. If space is tight NeroVision can be set to use AC3 compression on the sound, this will save quite a bit of space, about 1,200kbps less.

If you intend to have chapter points in the DVD then in your video editing try to put in a fade-to-black and fade-from-black transitions at each place. This makes things much easier when setting the chapter points later in NeroVision. Crossfades are messy, since NeroVision will have to recompress at each chapter point to be sure there's an I-frame at the entry point. With black, the recompression distortion is harmless.

Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.

Your advice is very sound and informative my friend.

I do agree with the 2 pass variable bitrate settings because the video I have produced is fairly dynamic, as it has many transitions and sometimes a lot of movement and then sometimes an almost completely static image- so that should help me save some space.

Also, do you think when someone selects a chapter to be played it should immediately play or should I have about a 90 frame or so fade in? I know thats not a tech question but rather a objective question, all advice is welcome.

Also is there anyway in NeroVision to put up my copyright disclaimer BEFORE the menu or do I need to resort to putting a 5 second disclaimer at the beginning of every sequence?

Lastly, could you tell me what GOP is? I have no clue what that stands for.

Re: Chapter jumps - I think a small fade in is fine, though 90 frames (3 seconds) might be a bit long. An abrupt snap is a bit jarring and it may detract from the subject matter.

Re: lead-in copyright.. I really don't know if NeroVision can do this. I've never tried it. One thing I'm sure you can do is put in a video clip for the background on the main menu. This isn't elegant, but it would let you get the notice out there at the start. This video clip will get looped, so provide a good length after the copyright notice to keep it from flashing again and again.

In the structure of NeroVision DVD menus, each video segment is called a 'title'. Each title has it's own mpeg file. Each title can also have chapters. If you have multiple titles, each one gets a selection button/window on the main menu (and extra main menu pages are possible it you have a lot of titles). When the user selects a title, if it has no chapters the title starts playing else there's a jump to a chapter menu for the title with the first chapter highlighted. Pressing play starts the title.

More professional types of DVD authoring programs would let you have a start title that always plays when the DVD is inserted, then when that is finished allow a jump to another title or menu.

Re: GoP - Group of Pictures. MPEG compression is a mixed bag of tricks that are used when needed. The first trick is called an I frame. This is single image compressed with a good method. It stands by itself and needs no other frames in order to be decompressed and output to the TV. The next trick is a P frame. It uses a Previous frame and it's own information to reconstruct the output frame. It's about half the data of an I frame. The last trick is a B frame, it uses a Previous and the next frame to reconstruct the current frame for output. It uses about a quarter of the data of an I frame.

These sorts of frames are strung together to make the video stream. A GoP is a group of an I frame and all the P and B frames up to the next I frame. There is a selectable repeating pattern, usually something like IBBPBBPBBPBBPBB that's common, but it's not cast in stone and can change according to scene complexity, a fast pan/zoom/jump can result in more I frames at the cost of larger data size. This is up to the encoder settings more than anything. Real Hollywood style MPEG artists will manually adjust these parameters for every action scene to minimize distortion resulting in superb videos. We poor humans are usually dependant on the default encoder settings. If one has a lot of time these settings can be fun to diddle with to see the effects.

Anyway, a chapter or a fast forward/backwards jump can only be from I frame to I frame, otherwise the intervening frames would have to be decompressed to calculate the output picture and that takes time and memory. The GoP setting mostly influences how 'coarse' the jump resolution can be. A GoP of 6 would result in IBBPBB groupings that would allow relatively fine steps, about a sixth of a second. GoP of 15 allows about half second steps. If you select a B or P frame to start a chapter, at transcode time NeroVision will find the GoP it's in and then decompress all it's frames then make I frames out of them so the jump will be smooth.