Thread: Dazzle DVC90 capture problems

Default Dazzle DVC90 capture problems

Hi

I'm new to all this, but want to convert old vhs tapes, commercial and taken from a tv, to dvd.

I've bought a Dazzle DVC90 which is suppossed to do this.

The vcr is elderly and only has a scart socket on it, so I'm using a scart lead which splits to a video and 2 audio jacks, which plug into the Dazzle. The pc is well above the spec needed.

I can't capture a thing. There's no sound, no video, and an empty file.

Dazzle support have had me downloading drivers, re installing etc etc, to no effect. I've also checked all the settings and it knows to accept video from a composite source, and to include audio.

Can someone give me some idea of how to do this. It seems to be impossible.

Thanks

Blog Entries

It's a tad strange that you're receiving no signal whatsoever. I think it's worth connecting the scart/AV lead to TV to ensure you're sending a signal from the VCR - some SCART connections have a nasty habit of being IN or OUT only.

Hi Mark - slight problem as we don't have a tv.

We were watching videos through the pc via a Hauppage tv card. Would this interfere withe the dazzle? I've made sure it's not used as the capture source.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't recommend using your TV card as you capture. It could be that this uses the same software rescources and is not enabling the Pinnacle software to create a video overlay. Even if that's not the case, your TV card will be hogging CPU resources, meaning you're more likely to get dropped frames (bad quality capture).

I think it's worth investigating whether your cabling is working though - even if that means knocking on someone's door and asking if you can connect your VCR to their TV. For some crazy reason, I'm assuming you're a student in halls.

HI

No student, i'm afraid - a 30 something mum who may have bitten off more than she can chew!

Hi Sarah

Just had the same problem as you with an old Philips VCR, a SCART to audio/video cable and DVC 90 - and figured it out finally myself (no thanks to the many forums I browsed). The problem is the SCART to audio/video cable. I don't know why, but I do know they don't seem to work in this context. The clue is that you are getting no signal at all on Studio 9. When Studio 9 is working with DVC 90 you get a signal on preview the moment you plug in (assuming the software settings are correct and you are previewing).

When I plugged in my VCR using the SCART to AV cable to a TV with AV input, then I got no signal either. That's what clued me in. Hence the DVC 90 is not the problem. It's not down to it being a faulty cable. I have three such cables from an old home cinema/digital TV setup. None work.

So how did I fix it? One scart to scart cable. One audio/video to audio/video cable (male both ends). And one multiple SCART to AVC switch (for example http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5342361.htm) . I spent less than 10 quid on the switch and it worked instantly (cheap is good).

I'm assuming it's something to do with the cables being one directional, but to be honest I've struggled to find a single coherent explanation. You either get blinded by science or told things that are blatantly wrong. Anyway this is what worked for me. Hope this helps.

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisull
    ...I'm assuming it's something to do with the cables being one directional...Chris
    And that's most likely the root of the problem. So many cheaper scart cables are not fully wired. Ie. All the pins connected at both ends. Obviously, if all the pins are not connected, some features (like signalling your TV to switch over etc) will not work. The same is true of scart to phono leads. 99% of the time they are one way only. Rarely you can find scart to phono with a IN/OUT switch on the scart plug, but not very often.

Default Dazzle

YESSSSSSSS!
    Thanks Chris It works just as you said it would. In fact it makes the Dazzle redundant, because what I actually wanted to do was run a video through a DVD integrated projector. Using your switch box I've managed to get my projector to run my videos.Now I have 4 foot video images without the need to transfer anything to DVD,

Why won't product support, or either the Dazzle or projector kind, tell you this?

Cheers

Sarah

Default Re: Dazzle

Quote Originally Posted by sarahl
    Why won't product support, or either the Dazzle or projector kind, tell you this?
    If they helped people solve their problems as easy as most can be solved then no-one would buy an upgrade would they?