Thread: Please help with Firewire and USB

Default Please help with Firewire and USB

Hi, please can someone help me I am totally lost about by camcorder.

I have a Sony TRV16E, I have once before viewed the tapes on a PC through the USB connection.

I have tried to do thi so n my own PC and when I plug it in it sees new Hardware but cannot see that it is the camcorder, I have tried re-intalling the drivers and have also been on the Sony website to get the latest. I cannot seem to be able to view as I did before.

Because I want to edit it and make DVD's I went out an got a firewire, I have installed this OK and it can be seen in the device manager. When I plug the camcorder into this it cannot be seen at all, does not tell me there i snew hardware or anything. This uses the same plug on the camcorder as the USB cable.

Any help would be great

Blog Entries

I'm a bit suprised that your camcorder has the same "plug" for USB and firewire given that they are two completely seperate protocols.

Apparently it is called I-Link by Sony and they have made the end of the USB cable supplied compatible with the 4 pin plug used on the end of a Firewire.

I have asked in a couple of differenty places today as to why I can't get to view this camcorder with no joy, no one seems to know what is going wrong.

Blog Entries

I've just looked at the manual for your camcorder, and as suspected there are two ports: one for USB and one for Firewire. Can you confirm that you are using the ilink/firewire port and cable? It might be worth trying a new cable too.

Just checked and I am using the right port for the firewire/i-link, will get a new cable and try that.

Have now managed to view it via the USB now mind you.

One down one to go !!!!

I have just tried to do something again, under the device manager it lists the firewire under the IEEE 1394 Bus Controllers and says the correct details about this. But when trying to get it to view again it keeps comming up saying that there is a new net adapter 1394, I have no idea what this means or whether this may be causing the problem.

Marc is right there are two ports.

Connect your Camera to your PC using a firewire cable and set the camera to play mode. hey presto!

Good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.