Thread: H.264 A Revolution for an existing codec type

Default H.264 A Revolution for an existing codec type

I dont know if you guys have heard about the H.264 codec, but OMFGBBQ.

Its basicly the newest revission of MPEG4 Designed to take MPEG4 a step further. This codec Can produde the same quality of DIVX at half the file size or at the same file size produce double the quality.

Doing some research i found it is not readily available in a codec package for windows, SORRY EDITORS.
    But it is available in several software packages. Most you must pay for but dont worry i found a free one...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MediaCoder.htm

Actually its a pretty solid encoding program.

Let me get into the codec a little more though, As most divx users know divx only goes up to 8megabits, or 8000kbps as most know.

This codec was made to be able to go as high as 50megabits or 50000kbps for true HDTV Encoding little to no quality loss unlike encoding HDTV content to DIVX.

Anything you encode in this codec will look at least 2x better then the same bitrate in divx, So if you where to encode something at 600Kbps in divx it would look as if was encoded at 1200Kbps in this codec at the same file size.

The boxing effect seen when fast motion happens is far better also.

basicly it was designed for the delivery of video on cellphones all the way up to true high deffinition.

This is not so much a review as it is me raving about the codec.

By the way im not affiliated with it or that site, Im a user that was really impressed and wants to share it
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

i defy any of you to get better results on divx at the same bitrate. It aint happening, try it your self, encode something on divx at like 300k then do the same with the h.264 codec and you will see what im talking about, half the size and better quality
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Say no more, almighty karmatized! I kneel humbly at your power and wisdom! :twisted:

nawww dont kneel its not becomming, im wrong plenty but not about this

i've tried using the software package you suggested, but can't seem to get it to work. :(

i'm trying to get a low sized .mov file of the best quality possible to put on a website, but i cant seem to get the package to produce .mov files it just produces .avi files and i cant even get them to play.

can you help? what am i doing wrong?

Blog Entries

Does it stream like .wmv and will it play on most systems / browsers ? Better quality than wmv? Probably I guess as to my eyes wmv is about the same a a good divx, divx looks sharper to me but with a few more motion artifacts with wmv looking a bit softer.

Ok il anwer both questions, Right now its still a new codec type.
    If your trying to export in this format VIA MOV file then you need to use Quicktime, the newest version the pro version. That lets you excode into this format VIA MOV

This software it self only lets you do the windows Varience, EG. AVI

Now the next question about WMV VS DIVX.
    This codec as of yet does not stream, Well it does but the network protocals in the players dont yet support it for streaming, Wait till WMP11 if you want to stream in this new format.

You can stream it if you do it with apple quicktime MOV though. Thats already been worked out because the player is updated.

Keep in mind this codec is great but it does not have the software support for most players as of yet, The industry standard board has already agree'd on this codec for many new types of media distrobutions. For example IPTV. Which will be cable TV Service over broadband.

BTW Ipod Video already supports this format....

The bite rate is scalable from 1 - 50000

Which means it can goto bitrates that would rival uncompressed and still have compression.

I suggest you do a test and try to encode something of yours on DIVX WMV and This at a bitrate of like 300 and see for your self though which one retains he most quality and has the least ammount of video artifacts

you will be surpized

The lower the bitrate the more it displays its amazing compression vs quality.

Even try encoding something at like 100kbps.