Thread: noobie: what does "offline media" mean?

Default noobie: what does "offline media" mean?

hi to all!

I'm currently using adobe premiere elements 1.0 to edit my videos. Initially, I transferred the videos to a PC and started editing from there. Until recently, I transferred the entire project to an external hard drive so that I can transfer it to another laptop. However, when i opened the project using the laptop, the timeline shows 'media offline' and the videos cannot be played. What is the problem here? Did I not transfer the entire project over that resulted in this? What do i need to do??

Blog Entries

Abit tiddled here after far too mjuch wine after todays dinner, but essentailly, i assume you have copied the assets (videos) over as well. The problem is that the project has them registrered at one location and you have moved them to another. In Vegas (which I use) you simply tell it to look in the new folder for one and it finds all the others autonmatically.

EDIT - After re redaing your post, I can see you're using an external drive. Is the drive letter the same on both machines? Probably not, so Tell your program what the new location is.

Default I didn't move my files and this still happned??

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Abit tiddled here after far too mjuch wine after todays dinner, but essentailly, i assume you have copied the assets (videos) over as well. The problem is that the project has them registrered at one location and you have moved them to another. In Vegas (which I use) you simply tell it to look in the new folder for one and it finds all the others autonmatically.

EDIT - After re redaing your post, I can see you're using an external drive. Is the drive letter the same on both machines? Probably not, so Tell your program what the new location is.
    I cut all my clips from the main video file that I brought in--CS5 Premiere. I was just saving files to the desktop...I may have saved the video file to the desktop AFTER I was working from the disk drive (with the video imported from there??)...

It will kill me slowly to do all of this work over again...any suggestions are appreciated. thx

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    You don't have to do it again, but you will have to reload the clips from the new location. If you have a file that has been chopped up and edited, that will still l be fine, as long as Premiere can find the same file name. If I have to transfer between this mac, and the edit suite PC using a hard drive, it's fine when you just reload the main files - even though the drive is the same, the other computer gives it a different location letter as mentioned above.
    But there are no chopped up files anywhere....just the main file that I chopped up...and I didn't move it to a new location...so confused...
    I think you might be confusing my post with the other guy's....I just opened premiere...and didn't change a thing...

AHHH - got it - I didn't realize that I had left click on the library file and find the disk drive again....thank you very much!!!