Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a difference in disc quality?

Default Is there a difference in disc quality?

I video interviewed a client some months ago and gave him his DVDs. They were one hour 40 mins long and played perfectly on my own PC and DVD player and he played them on his DVD several times. The editing and burning was problem free and I use either Verbatim Advanced AZO DVD-R 8x Certified (box of 50) or Imation DVD+R 8x Compatible (box of 25) discs. I also stuck a paper label on each disc. Last night I got a message from his saying that two of the discs now only play for 15 minutes and then stop. Before I get back to him I wanted to check with you if there is any difference in the quality of discs - am I buying cheap ones? - or do you think it could be to do with something he has done or something is wrong with his player? I'm trying to get a business off the ground and this is something I need to sort out before I go any further. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Panasonic NV-GS400
    Adobe Premiere Pro
    Dell Dimension 8400, Intel
    Pentium 4CPU 3.20 GHz, 3.19 GHz
    1.00 GB of RAM

It could be the labels you know. Some people swear by them and others have nothing but problems. It seems to be a bit hit and miss. I bought myself a printer that can print direct onto DVDs and I reckon they look great and don't alter the DVD in any way so I'm biased.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a difference in disc quality?

Quote Originally Posted by smithy
    The editing and burning was problem free and I use either Verbatim Advanced AZO DVD-R 8x Certified (box of 50) or Imation DVD+R 8x Compatible (box of 25) discs. I also stuck a paper label on each disc.
    I always feel that saving a few pennies on small production runs is a false economy. I use Taiyo Yuden "Full-Face Printable" discs (50p per piece).

Thanks guys. I've never heard of Taiyo Yuden discs and hadn't realised that there were other makes available. Are they available in the the usual shops i.e. PC World or Currys, as I could nip out today and get some - or are they only available online? Also, could you recommend a disc printer - I've never come across one of these before. It certainly sounds like this is something I should be doing.
    Panasonic NV-GS400
    Adobe Premiere Pro
    1.00 GB of RAM

Check this thread out smithy, it might give you a few ideas.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtop...nt+direct+face

Blog Entries

Hi Smithy. I use an Epson R300 printer which has an slot and holder for discs. It's down to around a hundred quid now and performs very well indeed. Much more pro looking than labels, which I threw in the bin after seeing how the Epson performed. It does hi gloss photo printing at super quality too. Only downside - damn expensive on ink - about 60 to refill (6 carts)

Thanks for all your prompt responses and suggestions. I shall do some shopping around and hopefully will be able to resolve the problem. Cheers!
    Panasonic NV-GS400
    Adobe Premiere Pro
    1.00 GB of RAM

my 2 cents, Do disks matter yes they do. There are 3 major disk manufactuing plans in the world last i knew. 2 of them make the general disks that you buy cheap and the other makes the more expensive disks but are the ones you must use for masters or Higher profile clients.

Verbatim 93964 DataLifePlus DVD-R 4.7GB for Authoring is the King of dye type, selling for around 10 bucks a disk.

Next up i would say on the cheaper and still solid side Anything ritech.

Ritech disks are produced at the same plant as the verbatims so they do meet a similar standard.
    Just what i have researched, If you go online you can get various peices of software that will analize your blank dvd'r disks and tell you there coding information with that coding information you can go onlike and see what region then come from and manufactuing plane it was made at.

As for printing, well it depends on what type of printing you plan on doing, If its simple text then go black and white thermal printer. It uses a ribon u buy one cheap for like 60 bucks. U can get around 50 yo 100 disks printed for around 5 bucks per ribbon. Its the bomb for text.

As for fullcolor well u gotta either go inkjet printable or thermal color, which both is expensive on ink.

Last but not least, NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER USE STICKER LABLES, They where not created for DVD Disks, They where made for Music CD's Which spin at 1x when playing with a larger surface data area.

DVD's data is much more compact. The lables actually offset the weight enough most of the time to caust a jitter on the rotation. which because of the tighter data on the disk will cause jumpyness and sometimes the disks will just stop.
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Thanks Kermatized. You certainly give a lot of information for 2 cents! Your explanation for labels has hit the nail on the head and explains what's been going wrong. I shall chuck the labels out right now. I've learnt a lot today - thanks guys !!
    Panasonic NV-GS400
    Adobe Premiere Pro
    1.00 GB of RAM

Karmatized - sorry for incorrect spelling of your name...... typo!
    Panasonic NV-GS400
    Adobe Premiere Pro
    1.00 GB of RAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast