Thread: Using Studio 9 and saving disk space

Default Using Studio 9 and saving disk space

Hi I have finally purchased a laptop that will allow me to edit my videos. And I have a few years of backlogs to work from. I thought the smart idea was to hook the camcorder upto the laptop let Studio 9 capture the whole tape and then edit from there. My problem is that Studio 9 does not appear to allow you to just delete off the bits you don't need. Will all this just be erased when I output the final movie? I shoot wildlife video so have too many hours to just store it all on my hard drive or external drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ray

Blog Entries

Hi Ray

Unfortunately I don't quite understand your question, but if I'll clarify the process of Non Linear Editing. The first step is to capture your footage from your camcorder to your PC. You can either capture the entire tape, let the software capture the tape in "scenes", or just capture the bits you want. This video can then be choped up, rearranged on the timeline, effects applied before being output as a seperate file. Your orginal footage will remain unchanged on your PC, and you will still have the original video on your tapes.

Thanks for that. Can I then delete the unwanted footage from my PC? It is just taking up disk space that I don't want to allocate to it.

Cheers

Ray

No, you can't, until the production is over. The thumbnails you see in Studio are not individual video files, but 'scenes' for you to work with.