Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably a newbie question...but why is a 1:30 clip so huge?

Default Probably a newbie question...but why is a 1:30 clip so huge?

I just got a new camcorder...and I'm using Pinnacle Studio 10 to capture and edit the video. Well I do those two things, then I want to get it into mpeg2 format. This is a 1 minute 30 second clip and it's telling me the size will be 1.2 gigs......wtf??? Am I missing something?

if your capturing as AVI then that is probably correct. AVI files are huge. If your plans are just for DVD then why not capture at MPEG2 (if it can) and that way the DVD conversion process will be quicker.
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

capturing uncompressed???

I see, well my plans right now are to get the clips onto the computer so I can edit them. So should I capture as mpeg2? I managed to get take the huge clips and cut them down to 15 megs for 1 avi then 1.6 megs for the other....brought them back into pinnacle to edit them...go to make the movie....and the file to be created will be 561 megs....there's no way i can use that...we are talking about not even 2 minutes of footage total and its 561 megs. Anyway, I guess I can try to capture it as mpeg-2 and see how that works out.

DV: 200 megs/minute.
    MPEG-2 is not an option if you want to do some editing. It's much lower quality than DV and not frame-accurate.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that that's the way it really is....that 1:30 clip with 1 video effect had a projected finished size of 800 megs...so I have to sit there for hours while it renders so that I'll have an 800 meg 1:30 clip? Assuming I did go through the painstaking process of rendering it, could I use something like virtual dub to trim it down?

7. Default

That's correct....if you capture in DV/AVI format the files are huge....that's the drawback of capturing in that format. Of course you can capture in MPEG2 format and there ARE programs out there which wil DO frame acurate editing using MPEG2....like WOMBLE Mpeg Video Wizard which works absolutely great (fast, no out of sync audio, can add transitions and extra sound track etc). True, MPEG wasn't intended for editing since it's such a highly compressed format thus requiring a fairly fast PC to work with but.......I do it all the time. My approach is slightly different....sometimes I prefer to capture footager directly in DVD compliant MPEG2 format. I use a Canopus MPEG Pro EMR device which is a hardware ecoder so the footage is captured in real time. Also Hardware Compression is always better than software compression.Then I use Womble software to do the editing. Always worked great for me and the quality is exceptional (assuming the quality of the original material is also good). ADS has also a device that basically does the same thing; it's called ADS Istant DVD+DV....this will also capture in MPEG2 format. If you can't get this hardware you can always use Pinnacle Studio to capture in MPEG2 format but will have to wait for the video to render (depending on how fast you PC is) and then TRY to use Studio to edit.......Studio is not very good at editing MPEG2 files. I used it in the past...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....it also doesn't like VBR MPEGS. But again Studio is kind'a crappy anyhow.

bengal, all your posts so far on this forum contain the phrase "Studio sucks", or alternatively, "Studio is crappy". I think we get the picture.

As for "some programs that edit MPEG-2 frame-accurately", MPEG files are not frame-accurate period because they don't consist of a series of independent pictures (like DV or M-JPEG encoded material). I'm sure you know that. So although some software (Womble for instance) do a pretty good job with editing MPEG-2, it is simply not a suitable format for a editing.

9. Default

Well, sorry...I'm kind'a ticked at Pinnacle for their total lack of pofessionalism and because of the way they treated not only me but many, many customers. Part of it it's my fault of course because I let myself suckered into buying their software....I could've just used some pirated copy of it but noooo.....I wanted to be honest. That much for that. I will eventually get it out of my 'system' but it will be a while. Now,... when I wrote about MPEG and 'frame accurate' editing I was refering to the fact that with Womble software the cuts are clean and smooth without any out-of-sync issues....you couldn't tell that the editing was done with an MPEG file rather than an AVI file....I did mention the fact that MPEGs weren't meant for editing.....I am familiar with the 'ins' and 'outs' of the format.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bengal
    Well, sorry...I'm kind'a ticked at Pinnacle for their total lack of pofessionalism and because of the way they treated not only me but many, many customers. Part of it it's my fault of course because I let myself suckered into buying their software....I could've just used some pirated copy of it but noooo.....I wanted to be honest.
    You could have asked Pinnacle for a free trial. Which they do supply!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast