Thread: Depreciation

1. Default Depreciation

I'm now thinking of buying a camcorder since it appears that it would be cheaper (in the long run) than buying a separate Tape player/recorder for an edit suite (plus I can get shooting straight away, even if it can't be edited 'til I can afford a new computer). I'm thinking something brand new in the Sony PD-170 price range, and I know what the initial outlay would be in order to get onto the 'property ladder' as it were. But how much can I expect new camcorders to lose their value? Say I want to get a new one every 2-3 years, how much would you expect to get for your second hand camcorder? When I've looked at second hand camcorders, they all seem very expensive, but they all have different accessories included and are different ages etc. I was thinking somewhere in the region of 75% of the original price. Is that a bit optimistic? Any ideas appreciated. Wish there was one of those Parkes guides for second hand cameras.

Blog Entries

Given that we're at a technological change from DV to HDV, DV cameras residual value will fall sharper as we see an influx of second hand DV cameras onto the market. Now is probably not a good time to invest in a brand new high end DV camera if you're concerned about its residual value.

3. Default

How about a high end HDV camcorder then? I was thinking that the Sony one's looked good, but it's a bit expensive to upgrade to the model with XLR connectors. I could always get the semi-pro model instead with a seperate DAT recorder for a little bit cheaper. Are the DAT recorders as good quality as the camcorders themselves at recording sound?

Even better. But can you afford a high-end HDV camcorder? And if so, will you please hire me?

5. Default

Lol, sorry I guess it's entry level for HDV. I was thinking the HDR-FX1E, but I really want the XLR connectors. But at over 1000 more, is it worth it? Actually, the reason I'm drawn to this camcorder isn't so much the HDV, but the widescreen format. As I understand it, the CCD's themselves are widescreen format rather than the footage squeezed later on.

Oh and another point, I assume they're backwards compatible with the mini DV tapes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid
    Lol, sorry I guess it's entry level for HDV. I was thinking the HDR-FX1E, but I really want the XLR connectors. But at over 1000 more, is it worth it? Actually, the reason I'm drawn to this camcorder isn't so much the HDV, but the widescreen format. As I understand it, the CCD's themselves are widescreen format rather than the footage squeezed later on.
    I believe most sony's feature anamorphic capture.

7. Default

They advertise it with "native 16:9 CCD." Does this not mean that it is actually widescreen proper?

Also, has anyone use one of these? Are they any good? I've used one which was entirely XLR before, which was very good, but has anyone used a convertor. Seems it would be much cheaper than a DAT, and you wouldn't have to re-synch the sound in edting. I like these things anyway, because the sound can be controlled seperately (albeit attached), but is there a loss in quality? Would prefer one with the little warning lights that tell you when you're peaking too (I know, my language is so technical). Cheers for the help, by the way.