Thread: Mildly teccie question

Default Mildly teccie question

I'm about to start upgrading my computer. Got a camcorder for Christmas and want something able to cope with a lot of the video editing software out there.

I was having a brief chat with an old mate on this topic last night as I'm after some advice about what proceeor to go for. Now the one thing I can't understand is this - Out of the two processors below everyone tells me that the 2nd is definately the better of the two. What I can't get my head round is that every site I look at puts these up at the same price as each other. If chip 2 is so superior to chip 1, why on earth are they the same price.

1. Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (Prescott) Socket 478 800FSB 1MB Cache
    2. Intel Pentium 630 3.0Ghz Skt775 BTX Fsb800 2Mb Cache

A few people have also suggested that I'd be better off with AMD, but forget that for the time being.

Why are these chips the same price; and
    Why is chip 2 better?

Blog Entries

I believe the 630 is a dual core processor. Video encoding would be comparable until you started using software that took advantage of mutlicore processors.

Fantastic ... cheers for that.

Manchester, UK

Go with the Socket 775 version. It's the newer technology. As for why they're the same price, I have absolutely no idea.