Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Issue with LCD Screen + Questions

Default Minor Issue with LCD Screen + Questions

I just got a JVC GR-D271u miniDV camcorder and I've noticed a slight issue with the LCD screen: along the bottom edge, the screen fades somewhat lighter than the rest of it. That is, it's not entirely uniform in color/brightness. It's only slightly noticeable, but I'm curious as to whether this is a normal occurance, a defect, or indicative of potential future problems.

Also, I was given this camera as a gift and neither I nor the giver have done much research into camera quality and features. Apparently, this camera model is relatively new as I am having trouble finding reviews and consumer info on it. So, I'm curious as to where this camera falls in the realm of quality miniDV camcorders - depending on this, I am willing to return it and use the cash toward a new one within a budget of about $1000. Here's a list of the features (the package cost about $350):

* 2.5" LCD Screen
    * Optical Zoom: 25x
    * Digital Zoom: 800x
    * SD Media Card Slot
    * 520 Horizontal Lines of Resolution
    * 680 K CCD
    * F 1.8 Bright Lens
    * Color Viewfinder
    * Live, Slow shots
    * USB 2.0
    * Auto Illumi-Light
    * DV In and Out
    * Rechargeable Data Battery (BN-VF707US) included
    * Software with USB Cable
    * Includes blank tape, tripod, JVC bag and remote control
    * Dimensions: 7.7"W x 6.7" x 5.8"

I'll be using the camera for a wide variety of scenarios so I would like to make sure it's well-rounded in terms of color quality and low-light shooting capability. So, basically my questions are - what do you think of the camera I have now? And if I should, indeed, replace it, how should I go about making a new selection (brandwise, feature-wise, etc)?

Overall, what is the difference between a $350 camera and a $900 camera, or are there too many elements involved to make such generalizations?

And a couple other things:

(Did I mention I am greatly lacking in knowledge of camcorders?) - I've noticed that there seems to be a negative correlation between the price of a camcorder and the degree to which it can zoom in - that is, the more expensive camcorders don't seem to be able to zoom as far. Is this generally correct? And if so, why?

Also, I've gleaned this implication from another thread or two, but I'd like to clarify: when transferring video from the miniDV camcorder to the computer via firewire, it saves it as a .avi file, which is much higher quality (at least in terms of frames per second) than mpeg-2. Is this correct?

Sorry for making this so long :P I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you.

This is just what you need for now. People always rush to empty their pockets before they even learn how to use their current equipment. However, there are differences "between a $ 350 camcorder and a $ 900 camcorder" although I don't see why you should care about that since you can't manage your current cam. Tip: Get the most expensive Sony you can afford!

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Tip: Get the most expensive Sony you can afford!
    Then send it to me. I will PM you my address....P.s I like sony hi def's.

No seriously. I use JVC's GR-D range and it seems good. The only minor set back was the orignal instruction manual was not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD
    Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Tip: Get the most expensive Sony you can afford!
    Then send it to me. I will PM you my address....P.s I like sony hi def's.
    It was seriously. I often recommend people the most expensive Sony they can afford, usually they can't go wrong. Sony is the father of camcorders.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Minor Issue with LCD Screen + Questions

The difference between a super budget and medium priced is typically the image censors used (amongst other things): a low end camera will have one CCD, whereas as a camera at the $900+ price bracket is more likely to have 3 CCDs (one for each colour, resulting in superior image quality).

The uneven distribution on the LCD could be a fault, or it could be an inherent problem to the cam (cheaper LCD monitors used to have trouble with evenly lit displays for example).

Low end cameras typically boost stupidly high digital zooms. This is a gimmick. What you should compate is the optical zoom. I turn off the digital zoom on my cameras.

The AVI file saved on you harddrive via firewire from a DV camera will be the same quality as the source, with a compression of about 5:1. MPEG2 is compressed a lot more using a different type of compression technique making it unsuitable for editing convieniantly.

Aha! You guys rock hardcore Thanks a ton... and I'll be around to return the favor with more discussions, and hopefully contribute something useful!

I've decided to return it and go with a Sony HVR-Z1U HDV.

What's your address?

0 <-doh, where's the angel?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fwah!
    I've decided to return it and go with a Sony HVR-Z1U HDV.
    I'm assuming that's a joke... but if it isn't you'll need software capable of HDV editing.

Teehee, yea :P

svhs's comment implying that I should match the camera quality to my knowledge level makes me feel like I should just master this one for now.

However, it seems to me that this camera is not 3 CCD (I assume the manufacture would proclaim this quite obviously) and I would like even my "learning experience" to be of nice quality... and more features might make it more productive...

So, I'm really leaning towards a medium priced camera, looking into some of the package deals on eBay that include lenses, filters, extended batteries, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fwah!
    ....So, I'm really leaning towards a medium priced camera, looking into some of the package deals on eBay that include lenses, filters, extended batteries, etc.
    Not a bad decision in itself, but most new product dealers on eBay tend to be not that far behind dedicated "Proper" dealers in terms of price and after sales service will be zero. Buying secondhand is fraught with dangers, especially when you can't go and play with the kit first. Be VERY careful if you go down that route.

One other contri to this debate - Optics - be aware that lenses can vary in quality enormously. In the same way that there are 7Mp still cameras that have cheap horrible lenses (Polaroid for instance) which sell just because they proclaim the 5/6/7 Megapixel thing, the same almost applies here. I have seen a few DV cameras where the lens is almost laughable. Big is generally beautiful in that department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast