Thread: Blank capture window, but capture ok

Default Blank capture window, but capture ok

Hi all, I'm a newbie making my first post after lurking for a while and soaking up the mine of information available here. I have a Sony DCR-HC21E (PAL) and Adobe Premier Pro (Education Version). Using IEEE1394 device control I can control the camera, I can also capture video with no problems, but my capture window is black. I can hear the audio through Premier during playback, but there is just no video in the capture window. Captured video is fine, with no dropped frames or other problems. I am also a bit confused about the version of Premier Pro I am using. When I look in the "About Premier Pro" dropdown, it says I am using Version 7, but I can find no reference to this version on the Adobe site. I purchased Premier Pro about 2 years ago in Australia, where I still am

I suspect all this means is that support for your particular camera is not as complete as it is for some others. I get the same thing with my camera but at least it has the curtesy to tell me toi watch the previews on the camera itself. I wouldn't worry.

As for version numbers. Premiere went up to v6.5 and then changed to Premiere Pro v1. The latter is sometime referred to as Premiere 7 that's all. I never actually relaised the about box referred to it as v7. Interesting.

premiere pro is the old version. Premiere pro 1.5 is the current version.

The old version had lots of bugs, dumb ones too im thinking you need to upgrade.

One example of a dumb bug in the version you have is if you try to encode dirrect to vob files for dvd buring it would crash everytime. The fix was the rename your Premiere exe file to something else.

And if something like that could get through id imagine your little dv bug might also.

But download the demo of the new version and see if it works if it does then the old version is in fact bugged and you need to switch
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Quote Originally Posted by karmatized
    premiere pro is the old version. Premiere pro 1.5 is the current version.
    Agreed. There has been a point release since the move from Premiere to Premiere Pro and a patch on top of that. For high def work you need to patch to v1.51.

The old version had lots of bugs, dumb ones too im thinking you need to upgrade
    I've started to hear talk of PPro v2. The timeing would be about right as it's been 18 months since 1.5. If you can make do with v1 then save your cash for a while and then move to v2 when it arrives.

One example of a dumb bug in the version you have is if you try to encode dirrect to vob files for dvd buring it would crash everytime. The fix was the rename your Premiere exe file to something else.
    Does anyone really burn DVD straight from Premiere Pro? If you have the 'pro' version then surely you build DVDs properly.

And if something like that could get through id imagine your little dv bug might also.

But download the demo of the new version and see if it works if it does then the old version is in fact bugged and you need to switch
    Worth a try

Ahhh. but then you see even building dvd's properly isnt always the same, your going into a whole nother subject with that. lol
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    As for version numbers. Premiere went up to v6.5 and then changed to Premiere Pro v1. The latter is sometime referred to as Premiere 7 that's all. I never actually relaised the about box referred to it as v7. Interesting.
    Thanks for the reply guys. I suspected something along the above lines, but got even more confused when I tried the Version 1 to 1.5 upgrade patch. The installer said "Cannot update this version. Will update Version 1 only". Well I thought I had Version 1, apparently I don't I have an 'orphan' version of some kind. Frankly I feel a little cheated by Adobe as there is no mention of 'version 7' anywhere on the Adobe site.

Is the upgrade problem to do with you having the education version of PPro v1.0?