Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lip Synch Problems with Studio AV/DV 9

Default Lip Synch Problems with Studio AV/DV 9

This is my first post to a Bulletin Board -- I'm deperate. Like others I am having problems with lip-synch on captured analogue video using the Pinnacle included PCI video card and my Dell computer (3.0 GHz 160 GIG SATA HD 1GIG RAM). Capture from SVHS deck is fine with 0 dropped frames but long movies (CASABLANCA recorded from TV or from a new VHS tape) eventually get out of lip-synch. Since main reason for original purchase was transfer of old VHS home movies to DVD I am at a loss. Options I am considering include purchase of ADS A/V w/Premiere bundle that converts analogue to firewire (but I already own Premiere) since they claim a "Lip-Sycnh" lock in their advertisement; giving up on Pinnacle and trying to use my Sony Digital 8 camcorder as some kind of Xfer medium to Digital and thence via firewire to the computer; or ???

Please help if you have found a solution. I have tried all the Pinnacle suggestions such as killing all other apps etc. but believe this to be a more generic problem with either the hardware card or the Pinnacle software. The problem occurs even before editing when simply viewing the captured video (captured at highest quality).

BTW ... what is a "Poll"? and what are the "Options"? -- sorry, I'm a NEWBY

Steve

Blog Entries

Check your camcorder manual for Analogue passthrough. As you suggest, you can connect a lot of camcorders to analogue equipment and then pass the analogue signal to your PC - the camcorder acts as an analogue to digital converter.

If you are considering buying a dedicated converter, Canopus comes highly recommended from me.

Thanks

I'll give that a go tonight. BTW, reading through the forums turns up lots of folks with similar problems. I'm going to try the camcorder approach (if it is supported by my old SONY Digital .

Blog Entries

It is a common problem (and it certainly shouldn't be). If you get the analogue pass-through working, you'll be very pleased with the results.

Thanks also for the Canopus suggestion. Reading up on the forums confirms the problems many of us seem to have with cheaper capture cards losing lip-synch for long captures. The Canopus ADVC100 reportedly solves this problem without dropped frames (for a price) and also seems almost universally well regarded. I'm now considering purchasing this external box or the internal ACEDVio card with the same internals. While the card might be cheaper (though I haven't found it to be so) and offers some color and brightness corrections not found in the box, it probably doesn't have the oft-reported Macrovision disabling work-around feature that the box supposedly has. If I had a bit more $$ I'd go for the ADVC300 but can't justify it based on the number of tapes I plan to convert (also may not have the macrovision work-around).

Blog Entries

I own, use and reviewed the ADVC100. I'm sure you could pick one up on ebay... and then sell it on without being out of pocket...

7. Default

Here my other 2c worth.....I also have the firewire capture card wich came with pinnacle studio 9 and had similar issues....I talked to Pinnacle support in the US and THEY told me that the card included is ...here I go again....crap. THEY recommended to buy another firewire card (other brand) and it would work much better. I did some experimenting with an ADAPTEC card and it worked great....the problem was that, with Studio I was never able to complete projects longer than 15/20 minutes becuse the blasted thing kept on crashing. I ended up buying the Canopus ADVC300 and use it in combination with sony Vegas....no more issues. That's and expensive alternative to Studio but it gets the job done. ADS solution is also good. You can buy the ADS PYRO in the US for about $129. Or just get the ADS Instant DVD to create DVD compliant files on the fly since this device has a hardware based MPEG encoder. The drawback.....Pinnacle Studio doesn't like MPEG2 files too much....it will give you problems. Womble Mpeg Wizard works great with MPEGs but it's expensive....I paid about $160 for mine...no complaints though.

I own the AV/DV 9 card and it's giving me no headaches at all, even though I work with Avid! I can use the Firewire port included on that card just fine.

9. Default

SVHS....pacat ca limba romana nu-i universala....

In sfirsit, un confrate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast