Thread: External HD

Default External HD

Donít know if this is the correct place to post this, has anyone built their own external HD unit.
    On my first NLE computer (1995) I had it upgraded a year later with 2 extra HDís in a case as an external unit. That PC has long since gone, but I still have the case and power unit of the external HD, -Iíve got 2 HDís from another editing computer. What I would like to do is put the 2drives in the case with the power unit and couple them together to be operated by firewire does this sound possible or should I just forget it, the 2 HD have still got data on that I would like to retrieve
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.

Premiere can't work with external hard drives, from what I know.
    Maybe Marc, or Alan, or Mike can tell you more.

Blog Entries

It does work, just that Adobe do not *support* their use. Building your own external unit using a firewire casing and a high rated drive is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    It does work, just that Adobe do not *support* their use. Building your own external unit using a firewire casing and a high rated drive is the way to go.
    That does seem to be the word on the streets. As far as I can actually make out, it all works fine, just not supported by Adobe from back in the days when external drives could not keep up.

I suspect you'll be fine. But just expect the brush-off from Adobe if youever have cause to call them for support.

Thank you Mark, Alan, and SVHS,
    The external drive was working with Premiere 4 on my first machine; it connected to the PC on a parallel port, now I would like to build one using firewire, the fact that Adobe wonít give support with an external wouldnít deter me.

What I was hoping was that someone here had built an external drive and could help me with advice on putting together mine
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.