Thread: Firewire issue

Default Firewire issue

When I connect my Sony DCR-HC40 DV camcorder to my computer via firewire and try to capture video the computer can't find the camera. It also never says new hardware added when I plug the camera into the computer. (I'm running XP Pro)

My computer is new (I built it myself). But I don't have any other firewire devices to test on the machine. I have tried the front and back firewire pots. I have also purchased a firewire PCI card and it didn't work there either.

I got the wire for $6.5 from an online store so I guess it could be the wire but I tested it w/ another wire (although it was from the same vendor) and that didn't work either.

Ideally I'd like to try my camera on a computer that has successfully used other firewire applications but I just don't have one available.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this issue or what I can do to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (as I built the machine to handle video editing).

AMD X2 4400
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    2 Gb RAM
    250 Gb sys drive
    500 Gb RAID Multimedia drive
    XFX 7800 GT
    Hauppauge 250 PVR

Manchester, UK

If you've tried a different Firewire card & cable, it's looking like it might be the camera. I'm afraid you are going to have to find another PC to test it on, or at least make sure there's no daft setting in there to turn firewire off.

I agree with Mike. The Firewire port on the camcorder might be damaged.

I really hope it isn't the camera. I bought it over a year ago but I didn't have a computer capable of handling video until I built this machine. It would be frustrating to find out that the feature of the camcorder I couldn't test doesn't work. (not to mention I will have to purchase an analog capture device)

You mentioned that it could be a firewall issue. I run Norton Antivirus and Norton personal firewall. Are there any known issues w/ these programs and 1394? (I searched Symantec and did a quick google search but I didn't see anything.)

I took my camera and wire to Best Buy where I had someone from the Geek Squad plug it into one of their computers to see if their computer would recognize it. It didn't work. I picked up a wire while I was there on the chance it was the wire. When I got home and tried the new wire everything worked fine.

The wires (I had 2) that didn't work were SanMax.

Blog Entries

Excellent stuff. Glad you got to the bottom of it, and you took the time to post back!

Those damn cables again!