Thread: Mini DV Cams

Default Mini DV Cams

I hear they are the best to the best price. any suggestions on some really nice ones for a resonable price? i will be filming snowboarding/skiing movies with it if that has any effect on the choice. thanks in advance.

Default Canon XM1

Well I recently purcased a Canon XM1 for 750 pounds in mint condition from eBay that was sold by a media company. Im sure you can get your hands on one for anything between 600 - 800 pounds on eBay. Its not as gd as the XM2 but thats an extra 200 to 250 pounds if you wanna spend it. There both great choices but if money is a factor theres only a slight difference 250 pounds will get you.

Blog Entries

Snowboarding ? Get a cheap camera !

^^^i wouldnt agree with that^^^
    if you get a cheap camera, the camera will be pixil. when you move it in fast motion, and for snowboarding you will have to move the camera in a fast motion, trust me i use to skateboard and i used a camera for 400 dollars and the quilty sucked because of the motion

So you're faster than a CCD?
    I don't think so. Unless it was some solid-state cam, recording in MPEG or QT on hard-disk or memory cards. Or unless you messed something up in the editing stage.
    Tape camcorders, especially digital ones, don't do that sort of thing.

Blog Entries

Hmm, I think the cheap camera may have been one of those manky solid state mpeg4 jobs. I didnt mean that, although they have thier uses, I was suggesting a cheap DV camera.

Snow and action and cameras may mean you are likely to bust it. I have a cheap s/h DV camera that I treat as expendable. I use it for camera unfriendly action shots where it is likely to get bashed / wet / dropped.

Maybe get 2 cameras. A decent 3 ccd one for pretty and safe shots and a cheap s/h one so you can duct tape it onto the boarders and the like?

Quote Originally Posted by younginn
    ^^^i wouldnt agree with that^^^
    if you get a cheap camera, the camera will be pixil. when you move it in fast motion, and for snowboarding you will have to move the camera in a fast motion, trust me i use to skateboard and i used a camera for 400 dollars and the quilty sucked because of the motion
    That will probably be down to the bitrate rather than the camera itself. Looks like you were using something other than standard DV.