Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: technical questions

Default technical questions

Hello everyone, Im not new to this video editing stage but I have a few question that I need answered to help me jump to "proffesional quality video".

Firstly, I use Premiere pro 1.5. It the company's copy i work for. For a camera, we use is the AG-DVX100A camcorder from panasonic.

I have been playing around with the camera for a while now, and some of the rendering options in premiere, but i can never get the video to look like something from hollywood. What is it that makes a video so "rich" or, "3d"? I also need to know what kind of codecs are used so that we can invest wisly - and how codecs work (as in installing them and making adobe use them properly).

Thanks a lot for all your help guys!
    - maTT

Matt, trust me, it's not a codec thing.
    For one thing, Hollywood shoot on 35 mm film, at 24 fps progressive. Video will never even come close to that.
    And there's more. Sure, there are camcorders that feature 24p, as well as Premiere plug-ins simulating that "film effect", but anyone can tell it's not the real thing.

Indeed, it's not premiere at all that will effect whether your video looks "hollywood".
    Along with the film vs digital problems, there's also hollywood lighting to consider, and the fact that film cameras acheive a much shallower depth-pf-field to most DV cameras - hence the 3D thing you mention

Quote Originally Posted by pete1801
    and the fact that film cameras acheive a much shallower depth-pf-field to most DV cameras - hence the 3D thing you mention
    All too true. Many a pro has wondered what they got wrong when picking up a pro-end camcorder for the first time and can't, for love nor money, get their backgrounds out of focus as they want them. I heard of poeple even resorting to putting up a blurred backdrop behind their subject to 'fix' this.

You just made that up Alan didn't you?

I see, so its all in the camera then. So no matter how expensive a digital camera you get, it will never look like film?

And for that codec thing, I thought it might have had something to do with it. Does anyone know the bestone available that doesnt loose quality and renders quickly?

Thanks again,
    - maTT

Hi Canadonian,

The best advice you can get is practice on making your actual videos interesting and keeping the audience watching rather than them falling asleep half an hour after it starts. Look at camera techniques, how often pans and zooms are used, how lighting is used, how a good soundtrack (often overlooked) can hold an audience spellbound. Concentrate on a good tight script with no holes in it and the editing is where your movie comes alive but you need the material to start with. So forget about how expensive your camera is and what editing software you have and concentrate more on technique and how to hold an audiences attention.

I think nikon sony is right. Downt worry about kit worry about techneque and how you edit it together

You guys all bring up good points. I am mainly a designer, so to me the look/quality is whats important - to some degree. If it doesnt look proffesional people wont trust it, thats sort of my little answer to all my problems haha.

Ill try that though, ill think more about the technique from now on. The filming we are doing is not so much for movies, but ads instead. It's like a short story in my view, everything needs to be rushed to get the info out.
    - maTT

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    You just made that up Alan didn't you?
    Actually I read it in another forum somewhere. Apparently, up at the serious 'pro' level it's quite a nuisance.

Of course "I read it in another forum" may well prove to equate to "A bloke down the pub said" or "I read it in The Sun" so it may all be nonsence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast