Thread: Date and Time stamps on captured DV

Default Date and Time stamps on captured DV

I upgraded my old HI8 Sony to a new TRV33E miniDV - no negative comments on the camera. I played with all of the various options for downloading to PC and, as expected firewire is better/faster, USB is acceptable, S-Video doesn't work at all, and composite is - well the word rhymes with composite. However, no matter what I do, and no matter what app I used (Imagemixer, Pinnacle 8, Nero) I cannot get the date and time info superimposed on the captured video (which I want to do some of the time) when using firewire or USB - I can when I used composite, but then I can achieve the same quality on my old camera. I emailed Sony for help - fast response, but blamed the packaged software (Imagemixer). How can I do what I want to do? :

expectantly yours...
    dchamilton

Blog Entries

In my experience, you can't achieve what you want via USB or firewire. The only explanation I can offer is that the time and date must be superimposed by the camcorder and not "hard stamped" on the footage.

As such, the only way would be to use S-Video. Unless theres software that can communicate with the camcorder to get access the time and date stamp? But as I say, I don't know of such software.

Shame that. Why is it that it's never a case of X steps forward - there's always at least one step back. Maybe the Luddites are right after all. :cry:

Thanks for the confirmation.
    dchamilton

Default Date and Time stamp on captured video - desperation time now

after previous posts on this I am becoming really confused now. If I want picture and sound - no problem: USB or Firewire and any one of four software packages will do it. If I want picture and sound AND date/time then I'm out of luck. I can get S-Video input (now) using a Dazzle composite to digital converter, and by switching digital output off, on the camera. However, if I used the package Nero, I get no sound, if I use Ulead studio, I get no sound (but with both I do get date/time on video), if I use Pinncalce studi 8, I get sound but no picture ( ), and I cannot use Imagemixer which came with the camera because it doesn't offer SVideo or Composite as an input. Can anybody tell me why I cannot do with new technology what I used to do with old technology? Is no-body else needing to superimpose date/time on video - surely there are commercial or industrial applications for this? Any help or explanations greatly appreciated as I'm beginning to feel paraniod here.
    dchamilton

Remember that if you use SVideo as an input, you will have to link the sound from the camera via your PC Sound card as SVideo is a video carrier only.

The reason that you cannot get the date & time super imposed via firewire or USB is because the date & time is stamped digitally and individually on each frame as opposed to superimposed via a composite image (as it was in older cameras). This is actually good news as it allows for frame control of the camera at the edit stage. In fact most capture software that scans for scene changes, uses this stamp to create their edit lists. You have discovered the only drawback though.

Having said that, I think you should be able to record the date & time via a composite input to your PC. To do this you will need to change the settings on your TRV33E. Go to the Menu (When camera is set to VCR) and change the DISPLAY to V-OUT/LCD (Its in the OTHERS or ETC part of the menu). That means your composite signal becomes your monitor (& Therefore recordable). Remember though to turn off the other displays by pressing DISP / BATT INFO on the side of the camera. I don't have a composite capture card myself, but I have tested this on a composite output (to my TV) and it does work. Might also be worth trying this on the SVideo route (I would but I don't have an SVideo cable (shame etc)). I did try it via firewire and USB but no joy (Although I didn't expect any as these are not composite/V-OUT devices).

Oops, before I forget, remember to use the other menu settings to display the date & time on your camera first.

Marc is quite right the only other way to get the date & time thing is to find a piece of software that reads the hard coded date & time stamp on the camera. I don't know of any personally, but I'll have a look around and post back if I find anything.

Short of that, you could take a note of the date & time and then create a softare title, in Pinncle or Ulead or whatever, to display the Date & Time superimposed on your video.

Good luck.

You may want to check out,

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools?tool=479

Good luck

purejammy, thanks for the info. I was aware of the sound issue - it was the same with the HI8 camera etc. After a lot of cursing over the weekend I got the Svideo option to work and, for the particular application where I need date and time on the video that will do. However, nothing is simple and with two of the three packages I have I don't get sound, and with the third I get sound but no picture - again, with the particular app no sound is not a problem; it just seems less than adequate.

I'll have a look at the link you supplied.

You're very advanced for someone so young - is it the high altitude in EK that does this
    dchamilton

purejammy, had a look at the link - everything you wanted to know about DVD but ...etc. :o I've downloaded a freeware app that claims to do what I want; but my better half's just been in the room to warn me not to try it out just now as the sound of yet another keyboard getting a severe thrashing would put her off her sleep.

Thanks again.
    dchamilton

Good luck with the downloaded software. Please let me know if this works, because you will get a much better end result capturing via Firewire, and it read as though this software will allow you date & time stamp your captured AVI footage.

Incidentally I know exactly what you mean about the keyboard tapping. Only yesterday Mrs Jammy was saying exactly ... (I'm going off topic am I not?)

PS: Wonder if I should change my Nom de Plume to 'Lanarkshire Sherpa'?

Good Luck