Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to record a 2nd track on a dvd?

Default How to record a 2nd track on a dvd?

does anyone know how to recored a 2nd audio track onto a dvd? i want to talk and do a commentary on the 2nd audio track like they do on a movie disks.

thanks for the help

anyone?

what software do you use?

Hi

i use vegas 6 do you know if itís possible to record a 2nd audio track in this program? basically what i am trying to do is have the main audio stream when you are watching the movie then when you press the audio button on the DVD remote it switches to the 2nd audio track where you will hear the commentary talking.

Thanks for the help

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Vegas. Maybe you should try posting this in the dedicated section.

Hi

thanks for the reply

I dont think vegas can do this sort of thing thats why i put it in general

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Hi Jo... Your question sparked a flurry of investigation on my end. At first I thought you meant to mix the two sound traks, but after a few minutes I realized you meant two sound streams on a DVD.

My main video editor, Magix Movie Edit Pro can't, neither can NeroVision, or VirtualDub (any flavor). But TMPGEnc can multiplex (Mux) several elementary audio streams into the video mpg. I tested this and it does work. But it's very surprising how many PC video players can't properly handle the resulting mpg. Some just mash the audio streams together on playback, others pick one stream and have no provision to switch streams.

I have yet to test my dvd authoring program, DVDLab, to see if it can properly handle this. I suspect it can. But it's going to be a learning experience, I can tell.

Anyway, TMPGEnc is at least a starting point. Go 'Files>Mpeg Tools>Multiplex (tab)' then set the 'type' to 'MPEG-2 Program (VBR)' and then use the ADD button to put in the stream. Video MPG first (it can have an audio stream - that will be the primary one) then add in the extra audio streams. Make sure your audio streams are DVD compliant elemental streams, this means 48k samples per second and either MP2, LPCM or AC3. TMPGEnc won't care, but authoring progams may and certainly the DVD players will. Note - MP3 coded audio is no good. Transcode them to MP2, LPCM or AC3. TMPGEnc can do this, but not with this muxing tool.

Good luck!
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Blog Entries

Jo.

As I 'm sure you're aware, Vegas is not the program to make the DVD, so vegas will not give you any options in this regard. If you have DVD architect, (the sister program to Vegas) a quick check of the help file (F1) reveals the following.

Adding Audio Tracks Ctrl+Q Insert Menu

You can add multiple audio tracks to videos and picture compilations to add support for multiple languages, audio description, running commentaries, and so on.

When your DVD is played, the DVD player will attempt to determine the appropriate default audio track. If the player cannot determine the correct language, the first track is used. If multiple tracks match the player's language setting ó if you have an English dialogue track and an English commentary track, for example ó the first track that matches the player's language is used. The viewer can choose which track is played during playback.

You can add up to eight audio tracks for each title.

Add an audio track
    Double-click a title in the Project Overview window (or double-click a button on a menu in the workspace) to open it.

From the View menu, choose Timeline to display the Timeline window.

Click the Add Audio Track button in the Timeline window. A blank audio track is added to the timeline. You can add an audio file by dragging it to the track or using the Media Properties controls in the Properties window.

Click the down arrow next to the Track Language button and choose a language from the drop-down list to identify the track.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary to create the audio tracks for your project.

When setting up your project, it's a good practice to use the same track sequence for all videos, picture compilations, and music compilations. If you transition playback between titles, the DVD will continue to play the same track number.

For example, assume the first title on your disc has the following track order:

Track Language
    1English
    2French
    3Spanish

Now assume the second title on your disc has the following track order:

Track Language
    1French
    2English
    3Spanish

If you're playing English dialogue in the first title, audio track 1 continues playing when you skip to the second title, so you'd hear French dialogue in the second title. Using the same track sequence for all titles will ensure consistency across your project.

Replace the audio in a track
    You can replace the audio in a track by dragging a new file from the Explorer window or Windows Explorer or by using the Track Media page in the Media Properties pane of the Properties window.

Choose which audio track is played when you play from the timeline
    Select the Activate Track button in an audio track header in the Timeline window to determine which track is played when you click the Play from In Point or Play button in the Timeline window.

I guess the best way would be to substitue language selections for your particular requirements

Hello

Thank you very much to you both indeed those replies were very helpful and i am very grateful

Just one question though would it be possible in these programs you mention to play the video clip and do a talk over and record my voice at the same time? what i mean by this is to play the video clip watch it and use my microphone to record my voice live onto the timeline as the video is playing, then that will create the 2nd audio stream. i want to do it this way because i only want to talk on certain parts of the video and if i can watch it and record my voice then Iíll know what bits in the video i am talking over.

Thanks for the help guys appreciated

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

I don't think you can watch your video on your PC , listening to the normal stream, and record new sound at the same time unless your software is designed to do it. I know little about Vegas, but just looking at a few websites touting Vegas leaves me with the impression it can't.

What I personally would do would be to burn the existing video to disk, VCD, or DVD (it doesn't have to be perfect since all you need it for is timing of your comments, so VCD would be good) and play it on a seperate player while using my PC to record my microphone audio to a disk file. I have several ways to record, Windows 98SE comes with a recorder app in the accessories folder. I also use Goldwave (Prefered!), Movie Edit Pro, Magix Audio Studio, Quartz Audio Studio (free - http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/So...dio_free.phtml), Nero Wave Editor or one of many others to record 48k/s 16 bit to a wav file.

Later I would edit the length to sync with the video, convert to mpa (mp2 compression 192k) and mux into the video mpg.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast