Thread: Best video output for most compatibility of users

Default Best video output for most compatibility of users

I want to "Make a Movie" from Premiere Pro 1.5 & would like it to be as easily viewed & downloaded from the net by a number of different users.

With the vast amount of codecs available, what is the best one to use from Premiere? Or perhaps is there a better one than the standard ones avaialble from Premiere that would be more commonly accepted by many different computer systems. If so, which one, where to download & any special install tips to push out a video file from Premiere?

Of course, I would like it to be as small as possible since users will have to download over the net, but my primary concern is more compatibility.

Much thanks in advance.....RAzor

I'd stick with WMV format. There is an offical Microsoft Windows Media Player for the Mac, and there's also a 3rd party one for Linux.

Depending on whether you have the time, inclination and broadband you could make a low resolution, medium resolution and say a 'wide screen' high resolution versions of your movie. If you log onto apples quicktime movie site you'll see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    I'd stick with WMV format. There is an offical Microsoft Windows Media Player for the Mac, and there's also a 3rd party one for Linux.
    im going to have to dissagree i would say real player. I just think people are more likly to have it and versions go back many os's down the list

Real player is horrendous. I never download it even if something i really want to watch requires it. It has a tendency to spread all over your harddrive and make a mess of things. Its very hard to fully get rid of it if you ever do make the mistake of downloading. Windows media is undoubtedly more sensible. Every windows PC can run it and you can choose to download WMP for Mac as well. To say people are "more likely to have realplayer than WMP" is madness