Thread: Archos V500

Default Archos V500

Having solved the changing of the AVI format to that needed for the Archos - I've gone on to trying to record from T/V. Now, I can get a video signal to the machine and it will record properly - but with no sound.

I am using an S Video cable from the DVD recorder to the Archos docking unit and cables to the red and white sockets. If I plug the sound cables into the AV in socket on the docking unit - I get sound but no picture. With it disconnected I get the picture but, of course, no sound.

I hope that someone has come across this problem before as the picture is perfect - if only I had sound too :-(
    Les

Use both connections. S-Video is for video, and the red and white RCA plugs are for stereo audio.

Default SVhs

Thanls for the reply. That's where my dilemma lies - I had done what you say but no joy at all It appears to be video or sound but not both. I have attached the svideo cable to the svideo socket at the rear of the DVD player/Recorder and the phonos to the sockets alongside - red to red, white to white. Thought at first that the audio cables were faulty but testing with an ohm meter proved that they were OK. I am using the cables that came with the Archos, ie:- a lead with a single connector one end , the audio cables( Red and White plugs), and a lead for the video (yellow) - the yellow remains unconnected. I wondered if an audio only cable would have an effect but then realised that it would be terminated at the other end by the same connector - giving, I imagine, the same effect as before.
    Les

Default Archos V500

I have had another go at getting sound and, using the same connections as I have had all along I found that the socket in the Docking unit is dodgy. First I noticed that when I had only partly inserted the plug in this socket that I heard sound - when inserted fully, both sound and pictured disappeared. I tried inserting again and it worked. So, the leads are Ok, the connections to the DVD are OK but the socket on the docking unit is tricky - it works but care has to be taken - perhaps, with use, it'll get better (but I'll not hold my breath. .
    Les