Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: capturing a vhs tape

fAuLk Guest

Default capturing a vhs tape

Any ideas why when capturing a VHS tape in premiere, it is really stuttery but when played on a tv its fine. Heres the file: http://users.aber.ac.uk/mmf3/pm/HomeVids.wmv

I'm using a DAC-100. Digital to Analogue converter - firewire.

What are you computer specs?

That could be the problem, or if you are running any big programs at the same time...
    http://balukmagic.com
    taking impossibility to a whole new level

fAuLk Guest

My pc specs are in my sig. Nope, no other apps running at the same time?

Does anyone think it could be a cable issue? I mean the ones I'm using came with my hardware so I'm assuming their of decent quality?

What condition is the VHS tape in? Reason I ask is, I had a lot of problems capturing a VHS tape - but it would play fine on my VCR. Ended up concluding that either my ADVC-55 a to d converter or Premiere Pro needed some kind of sync signal, but couldn't find it - whereas the VCR didn't need the signal, it was happy just to wind the tape through the heads. Just a thought (or, in fact, a wild-assed guess...). It could be that your only solution is to make a copy of the tape you have and see if that works any better.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

fAuLk Guest

Yeah good point actually. The tape is about 10 years old so as you can imagine its not in the best of condition. What did you mean by 'sync signal'? I'd be more inclined to investigate this before making a duplicate of the tape. I'm hoping to convert quite a few old tapes in the future.

Not sure if it makes any difference but the set-up I'm using is:

Scart connection plugged into VCR--------Component connectors plugged into A->D Converter--------Firewire from A->D to PC.

fAuLk: I'm not sure I know what I mean either... I guess the symptoms just seemed to me to suggest that either the ADVC-55 or Premiere Pro was somehow having difficlty 'locking on' to what was coming through - and the instructions for the ADVC-55 seemed to suggest that one of the reasons the red light would come on was if it couldn't lock on to a signal for some reason. Whether VHS tape ever was written with some kind of clock or counter or marker or whatever, I have no idea. For sure, though, I narrowed it down to a bad tape - all other tapes worked fine. The symptoms, IIRC, were that the captured image on PPro would just lock up/go still, then a little while later it would show another frame and then, at random intervals, more framees. Thinking about it, winding the tape forward fixed the problem - but I could never capture that specific part. And yes, this tape was 10-15 years old.

You have the same connection scenario I do: Scart converted to audi L&R/video out of the VCR to the ADVC-55, Firewire out of the ADVC-55 to the PC.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

fAuLk Guest

If anyone has info about any issues regarding synchronising VCR's to a PC during capture, they'd be appriciated

Yeah exactly the same, other sections of the tape captured fine for me too.

Well, the audio had considerable noise. Sounded like the mechanism from the VCR, or video camera. Not too sure really but doesn't sound great. Have you experienced this Ian?

I'd guess the noise is likely from the video camera mechanism.

By the way, don't give up. IIRC, by dint of trying over and over, with some rewinds and fast forwards thrown in, ISTR that I did end up managing to capture the footage in question.

I too would be interested if anyone out there knows if my theory - about whether or not VHS tapes used any kind of timing signal/sync pulse - holds any kind of water at all...

fAuLk Guest

So its unlikely that any additional audio noise could come from the VCR? (its brand new).

Also, could any volume levels on my PC be causing this (theres so many in windows).

And yeh Ian, I'll give it another bash tonight, cheers!

So its unlikely that any additional audio noise could come from the VCR? (its brand new).
    Without hearing the noise, it's difficult to say. I have a record deck hooked up to my PC for converting vinyl to CD, and because I haven't properly earthed the deck, I do tend to record some mains hum... If it's a 'mechanical' noise rather than an electrical noise, though, I'd definitely suspect the camera - especially given the age of the tape.

Also, could any volume levels on my PC be causing this (theres so many in windows).
    I guess it's possible. It all depends on the noise, I guess.

And yeh Ian, I'll give it another bash tonight, cheers!
    It's gotta be worth at least a few goes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast