Thread: BETTER OUTPUT FROM STUDIO V943

Default BETTER OUTPUT FROM STUDIO V943

In Studio if I render a non commercial DVD which I have edited in Studio to a 4.7 GB DVD the Quality is set at 52%, obviously to get it on a 4.7 GB DVD it needs compressing. 52% seems a low Quality.

If I change the media in Settings to 8.5 GB DVD (I donít have a Dual Layer Burner) the Quality goes up to a 100% - thatís logical.

My idea is to render the edited video to 8.5 GB, but not to disc, but to the Hard Drive, then use DVDShrink or another codec in Studio or externally to get a better Quality than what Studio can offer.

My Questions Ė

1. Is there a codec that can be imported into Studio V943 to up the Quality above 52% ?
    2. Will DVDShrink give a better Quality output to a 4.7 GB DVD than using Studio ?
    3. Is there a good codec I could use (Freeware preferably) on the output VOB ?

Any ideas gratefully received.
    Thanks
    David

2. Default

There is a program, DVD Rebuilder, which can do this, just like DVDShrink. You can download this program from the DownloadShop together with the Cinema Craft Encoder, which should give a far much better result. Ofcourse, downloading this program is free.
    You can find here a descriptipn of the program . Unfortunately, it is still in Dutch, but if nessecary, we can try to translate it into English

Theo thanks for your reply.

1. Have you used it, if so do you think you get better quality output than using DVDShrink?

2. I can not read the Dutch on the link you provided, is there an English version link?

3. Is the actual software in English?

4. Do you have to log in, to Download the software? I could not see an obvious Download link on the web page.

Thanks for your help
    David

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by greenland46
    1. Have you used it, if so do you think you get better quality output than using DVDShrink?
    The program is avilable in the downloadshop since a few days only. I haven't tested it very much. Just installed it to see whether everything works. However, the people who worked with it and submitted it, are very enthousiastic.

2. I can not read the Dutch on the link you provided, is there an English version link?
    The english version of the VideoFAQ still has to be made. I think it will be there soon
    3. Is the actual software in English?
    Yes

4. Do you have to log in, to Download the software? I could not see an obvious Download link on the web page.
    yes, you have to login to be able to download. The downloadsite is HERE

Thanks for your help
    David

Thanks for your help again Theo.
    Last question - does the S/W give you an option to set the quality as Studio does (by setting it to Auto or Custom etc), or are there a number of individual settings that determine it, and if so does it give an overall quality setting? Thanks David

Default DVD Rebuilder

Has anyone used DVD Rebuilder from the web site given by Theo. I would like some more info about it before installing it, eg is it OK on XP, what does it do, it looks different from DVDShrink ? Any info would be appreciated, even a translation from Dutch to English on the other link Theo provided? Thanks David

Blog Entries

Default Re: BETTER OUTPUT FROM STUDIO V943

Quote Originally Posted by greenland46
    My idea is to render the edited video to 8.5 GB, but not to disc, but to the Hard Drive, then use DVDShrink or another codec in Studio or externally to get a better Quality than what Studio can offer.
    I would never recommend such a work flow. MPEG encoding uses interframe compression and re-encoding will result in generation loss - a reduction in quality. You can't get around this.

I assume that "100% quality" in Studio is actually the maximum bitrate permissable by the DVD standard, i.e a video bitrate of 8,000kbps. I then pressume that 50% quality equates to a bitrate of around 4,000kbps, which is actually the bitrate used in many commercial DVDs. If you use a two pass variable bitrate with this as the average, you should get comparible results to "100% quality". Don't be put off by the % quality setting. A very high bitrate is only really an essential with high movement, and a variable bitrate will compensate for this.

My suggestion? Go with the setting that Studio has recommended. Why? Well DVD Shrink will do EXACTLY the same thing, i.e reduce the bitrate. But you'll also suffer from a quality loss from MPEG re-compression, and spend more time encoding.

If you really don't want to use the Pinnacle MPEG encoder, output to DV, then use an external encoder.

Thanks Marc for that bit of logic, which does appear to make sense in sticking with Studio and its MPG codec. I would however appreciate a reply from anyone that has used the DVD Rebuilder (Theo's suggested alternative option above to the Studio codec) and can tell me what it can do, and how it works. Thanks again Marc. David

Blog Entries

I would suggest that you do not use this software. Unless it accepts DV or uncompressed AVI, and the software MPEG encoder is much better, you will gain no advantage by using it.

Have you view the output from pinnacle?

10. Default

DVD Rebuilder uses the Cinema Craft Encoder, which should give much better results as DVDShrink. However, the far best result will be obtained by using multiple DVDs instead of further compressing your video. I just never place more then 1h 10' video on a 4.3GB DVD.