Thread: Wanting higher quality video for DVD - newbie

Default Wanting higher quality video for DVD - newbie

I'm using a panasonic miniDV along with adobe premiere elements, but when I import video to my computer, the quality is, well, lacking. I've used a variety of importing programs as well as premiere that come with the computer, but to no avail. The best size I can achieve appears to be 640X480, and the quality is still a tad blurry. I'm looking to edit this video in Premiere, and then put it onto a DVD, but if it is so small/blurry, will it not remain so on TV? For instance, when I finally burn it onto a DVD, won't it take up as much on the TV screen as it does on the computer screen at 100%?

Is there any way to get higher quality/larger pictures out of my camcorder/computer? I mean, the crazy thing is, when I view straight to the TV from camcorder, it takes the full screen, as well as not being blurry at all. But that just isn't the case when I move it to the computer. Sorry for the newbieness, and thanks for any help.

How are you importing the footage, you should be using a firewire connection.

If you use firewire then you will get the same quality as on the camcorder as it is a straight uncompressed copy

I'm using IEEE 1394 firewire cable... so that shouldn't be the problem. Its not the quality on the video, since it looks fine on a TV without importing/exporting, but maybe I'm missing something here on video editing.

Only other thing that springs to mind is the capture settings you are using.

You should be capturing as DV-AVI this will give you the uncompressed footage from the camera.

Not having used premiere elemnts myself I couldn't say how you change settings but it should be covered in the manual or help files.

Capture using the Firewire (iLink, IEEE1394) port, using the DV AVI codec, in the standard PAL resolution of 720x576. There's only one way to do this, what can go wrong ??