Thread: Pinnacle Studio 9 - Use AVI to stop Render Hang

Default Pinnacle Studio 9 - Use AVI to stop Render Hang

Hi, new user to this board and failry new user to Studio. I read that stupid manual 3 times, called Pinnacle twice, tried everything under the sun trying to render my first DVD without it hanging, until I figured this out. I am sure it is posted here from the many intelligent postings I have seen so far (I wish I would have tried here before), but for all new jacks to Studio, try this:

1) When you are importing video from one media, import the ENTIRE footage as one file. Do not break it up into several files. You can use the space bar to put in a break, but if you can just edit it from one import you will be MUCH better off.

2) When your project includes contect from several imported video files and several pictures, you are asking for trouble. If your project takes a long time to Open (and for the frames to finalize) or you are getting 'low on memory' errors you can try this - Try to convert whatever you can to an AVI file, then import back into your project. For example - if you added pictures, string them together, do your transitions, then render it as AVI. Delete the originals from the project then import back in the AVI file. For some reason Studio LOVES to render AVI.

3) The least amount of Storyboard 'scenes, movies or pictures' in your project the better your chances of being able to work with the project, it not hanging, or rendering without you wanting to throw the computer across the floor.

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I wish Pinnacle would have mentioned it more clearly in the manual............

2. Default Re: Pinnacle Studio 9 - Use AVI to stop Render Hang

Quote Originally Posted by Tnatural

1) When you are importing video from one media, import the ENTIRE footage as one file. Do not break it up into several files. You can use the space bar to put in a break, but if you can just edit it from one import you will be MUCH better off.
    Sorry, but I don't recognise short avi fragments as a problem. In fact I have often seen that people advise to capture in short fragments (up to 15 minutes).

2) When your project includes contect from several imported video files and several pictures, you are asking for trouble.
    Again, this is not my experience. Studio is designed to handle many different objects on the timeline. It allows you to edit a video exactly in the way you want.

3) The least amount of Storyboard 'scenes, movies or pictures' in your project the better your chances of being able to work with the project, it not hanging, or rendering without you wanting to throw the computer across the floor.
    I get the feeling that the configuration of your PC is not optimal for video editing.

Good advice, but what does it apply to?
    Specific answers should be given to specific problems... not just like that.
    IMO

Have to say the only problem I've had with my studio plus 9.4.3 has been on a project that went over 1 hour in length, that would always fail on the second pass of the render at about the 50% mark. The only fix I could do was to cut the project in two, redo the menu's and burn it as two discs

Anything less than that and no problems at all.

Tnatural wrote:

2) When your project includes contect from several imported video files and several pictures, you are asking for trouble.

Theo22 wrote:
    Again, this is not my experience. Studio is designed to handle many different objects on the timeline. It allows you to edit a video exactly in the way you want.

Tnatural:
    As per Pinnacle themselves and I quote 'Studio does not handle many photos very well'. Theo are you saying that your timeline could contain up to say combo of 60 photos, video clips (from same file or different files), all with transitions, and it will render up to an hour DVD without you first making AVI files out of parts of the project? That was not my experience with much higher than recommended Processor Speed, Memory, Storage size & Type, and PC & Windows settings using Pinnacle Studio 9 with latest Patches. Maybe I missed something............thx.

6. Default

Tnatural wrote:

Tnatural:
    As per Pinnacle themselves and I quote 'Studio does not handle many photos very well'. Theo are you saying that your timeline could contain up to say combo of 60 photos, video clips (from same file or different files), all with transitions, and it will render up to an hour DVD without you first making AVI files out of parts of the project? That was not my experience with much higher than recommended Processor Speed, Memory, Storage size & Type, and PC & Windows settings using Pinnacle Studio 9 with latest Patches. Maybe I missed something............thx.
    Yes it works fine, currently with patch 9.4.3 and previously with patch 9.3.5. Also > 1h video combined with lots of photographs, PiP, effects, HFX etc.
    My PC is not very special: HP 7945, WinXP home SP2, 1.5 GHz P4, 1.5 GB RAM, HD: 2 *120 GB intern, 200 Gb extern, Nvidia GEForce2 MX-400 Studio plus 9.4.3.70

However, for people who have problems, it is a good idea to edit and render in smaller fragments (10 to 15 minutes).

Theo.

Thx. I'll keep at it. I do have a question for you.........

I want to dump my Edited master Studio project back to mini-DV from Studio, uncompressed. I imported two Mini-DVi tapes of converted 8MM Old Home Movies (1.25 hours) into Studio, and created an edited DVD from it. I would be more comfortable having the finished product back onto Mini-DV for uncompressed preservation and because I feel mini-DV media will be around much longer than current DVD.

How would I approach exporting from Studio 9 to a DV Camcorder?

Sorry if I didn't explain this all that clear, this is pretty new to me.

8. Default

To make a back-up on mini DV, it is the best to first create an AVI file from your project, using the DV-avi codec. Next you open a new project, drag this new avi to the timeline, go to MAKE MOVIE and select some like TAPE.

Good Luck!