Thread: Can it be upgraded?

Default Can it be upgraded?

Hey fellas, I was hoping to upgrade my processor. Problem is, my computer's on the older side and I'm working with a socket 462 (or socket A as I'm to understand?). It's operates at 2.12GHz but everything I see on newegg.com is around there with the fastest at 2.2GHz (I admit I didn't research as much as I should have before posting and newegg.com is the only place I've looked so far).

My current one is a AMD Athlon XP 2600+, would it be worth it to buy a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ at 2.2GHz? To be honest I don't know much about cache sizes or if I'll even notice a difference between the two. I would just like to update what I have because I'm actually quite happy with the computer for what it is. In addition to the processor I was just hoping for a dvd burner and maybe a graphic card supporting two monitors. After that I'll hopefully build a dedicated editing rig later on down the road.

What do you think?

Oh and I wanted to ask: Could I safely overclock my current processor for the time being? I don't really know much about that either! (sorry )

IMO upgrading to another sk A CPU is pointless, in the long term. Time to go 64-bit (I mean Athlon64, socket 939, not the more expensive alternatives) if you can afford it now. Otherwise, overclock your 2600+ Athlon XP (you will probably get smth like 3000+) which is fair enough and save some more money.

If going to 64bit means a new motherboard then it's not worth it. I guess what I'm saying is I just want to moderately beef up my current computer to breathe a little extra life in it. I'm not concerned with long term on this computer. But still, if you don't think I'll notice a difference then it's not worth it. Now on a dedicated editing rig I'd be more concerned with long term.

Now to learn how to overclock...

Thanks, svhs!

Might be worth beefing up your RAM.. how much do you have?

512 originally, then added another 256 recently.

Get a full gig, what the hell... Whatever else you do, you still have to do this.

If you think it is expensive, check out Tiger Direct

extremely cheap, i buy stuff there all the time! and my new pc shiped in 3 days from purchase to my house, and it was standard shipping!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

hmm... they don't seem to have what I'm looking for though...