Thread: ARCHOS V500

Default ARCHOS V500

I have recently bought this machine and, so far, am satisfied with it's music and photo sections - very pleasing to the eye and ear! However, when it comes to putting films I have recorded with ny Sony Tr22E on to the machine then the resulting AVI files are not suitable. They have to be of another type(MPEG4.AVI). Software has been downloaded from the machine to my computer, DivX downloaded and installed but, when I follow the instructions and start to convert a message comes up telling me that ' Video compression error - the source image format is not acceptable (errorcode -2)' - this from VirtualDub.

You can imagine my frustration having downloaded the required programs (both from the machine's hard disk and the internet).

I have tried to contact ARCHOS but they have a site where it's impossible to get past the first two pages - your'e returned to the initial page every time - no matter which button you click! My emails to their webmaster have gone unheeded.

I'd be grateful for any help from anyone with this machine - or anyone who knows what is going on. Thanks in advance.
    Les

Blog Entries

I had an older archos that was very codec fussy, i think the new ones are better, just use something like virtualdub to recompress the video.
    http://www.virtualdub.org/download

Default Archos

Thanls Zaskar - I'd have answered sooner - I was waiting for an email to tell me that someone had replied - didn't get one - hence the delay.

Just as well really for I solved the problem this evening - a notice came up on screen notifying me that a newer version of Divx had been made - DivX 6.1. Downloaded and replaced the 6.0 version and voila! - It Worked!!! I now have the correct version of .AVI

I've just watched a 20 minute film of the local Firework show, filmed in 2004 - the sound and pictures are great - I hadn't realised until I bought these Technics 'phones that the camera (Sony TRV22E) had a stereo microphone.

What a machine, I'm well chuffed
    Les